Contribute
Register

What's the cheapest computer you can install El Capitan on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI H81M-E33
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770
Graphics
Sapphire R9-270X
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
That's my question. I want to buy a computer to install, upgrade, try out new OSs, without being computerless if I break it. I want it to be my spare computer. Could be the mini ITX sort of thing. I know there's a buyer's guide, but want to make sure I don't spend unnecessarily. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Take a look at some HP 6300 or Dell 760-780 towers or SFF desktop systems on Ebay. They can often be found for about $100.

That's my question. I want to buy a computer to install, upgrade, try out new OSs, without being computerless if I break it. I want it to be my spare computer. Could be the mini ITX sort of thing. I know there's a buyer's guide, but want to make sure I don't spend unnecessarily. Any suggestions?

If you don't want an older Core 2 Duo system and something that is more future proof for new Operating Systems, then do a basic I3-6100 GA-H110M build and use the integrated HD530 graphics. You can build new with this hardware and keep the cost in the 300-350 USD range. Less than the cost of a new 2014 Mac Mini.

If you don't want an older Core 2 Duo system and something that is more future proof for new Operating Systems, then do a basic I3-6100 GA-H110M build and use the integrated HD530 graphics. You can build new with this hardware and keep the cost in the 300-350 USD range. Less than the cost of a new 2014 Mac Mini.

The i3 6100 sounds like the way to go, plus the board you recommend, is a very nice option! Thank you for sharing, just one question: is it too different from the GA H170N which is recommended in Custom Mac mini (besides the price)?

The i3 6100 sounds like the way to go, plus the board you recommend, is a very nice option! Thank you for sharing, just one question: is it too different from the GA H170N which is recommended in Custom Mac mini (besides the price)?
You can use the I3-6100 with the H170N that will work just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back