Contribute
Register

What's a good step-up from an Nvidia Geforce GTX-650 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I've been very happy with my Nvidia GeForce GTX-650 on the past few builds I've upgraded through.

But as I'm doing more & more work in Sketch, throwing around large (2D) vector graphics I'm wondering if there's a more powerful GPU option that might make screen refresh / redrawing a little snappier ? I don't do any video work.

I'd be looking at affordable pre-owned devices from a couple of years ago maybe, to keep the cost down. Nothing fancy to run a crypto-mining operation! :)

Any alternative would need a minimum of 2 x DVI outputs as the GTX-650 has and should be as "natively supported as possible", ideally running without any hacks out-of-the-box just like the 650. Ideally not too long either as it would need to live inside a Silverstone Mini ITX case (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-sugo-sst-sg13b-black-mini-itx-dtx-case)

All suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

RX 560? You might need an additional DVI adapter.

Thanks, I hadn't considered that one. Although I'd rather avoid injections and config.plist edits if I can find a more natively supported card.

The GTX-650 has spoiled me with never having to worry about any config tweaks, even moving up the macOS versions over time. :)

Steev

Thanks, I hadn't considered that one. Although I'd rather avoid injections and config.plist edits if I can find a more natively supported card.

The GTX-650 has spoiled me with never having to worry about any config tweaks, even moving up the macOS versions over time. :)

Steev
Way 'Number 2' in that thread is using only Lilu + WhateverGreen kexts. Clover's RadeonDeinit setting is not necessary when CSM enabled in motherboard firmware settings.

Staying with Kepler, the GTX 760/770 should have similar support to a 650... Maxwell and later NVIDIA cards (also GTX 780) would require the web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back