Contribute
Register

What Would You Buy: Skylake or trusty 4790K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Gene
CPU
Intel i7 6700K
Graphics
MSI Geforce GTX 960
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So i'm new to Hackintosh. I'm running Win10 happily now, but i'd like to go OSX on my terms (hardware) and run Win10 alongside in dualboot.

At the moment i'm running my trusty Core 2 Quad Q9400 which is getting a little obsolete. I'm now modding a G5 case to fit my new system. I'm taking my time, so i can wait a while. Meanwhile, i'm looking around for a new CPU and Mobo.

Which leads to the question: what would you buy? I'm looking at a compatible i7-4790K, or a shiny new i7-6700K which is only a mere €30 more expensive and is just about a bit better then the old one (compare). As i said, i'm in no hurry. I'd be happy if i could run my hackintosh january '16.

You think i can run a Skylake without to much trouble 2016 Q1?

Please share your thoughts with me...

Jaap

I don't have a crystal ball but I don't expect El Cap to be working on Skylake hardware by
1/2016. You can be certain that it will on Haswell though. The only 2 real advantages that
a Skylake I7 has over the I7-4790K is much better integrated graphics and the ability to
run DDR4 memory. If those two things are important for you then I would go with a Z170
system and wait for support. If not build a 4790K Haswell system now.

don't expect El Cap to be working on Skylake hardware by
1/2016

a little birdy told me, first hand, that apple has had skylake chips ready to ship in macbooks for 2 weeks now. so, i expect el cap to be running on skylake on consumer's machines in oct/nov. if not sept already. but that's management's call.

a little birdy told me, first hand, that apple has had skylake chips ready to ship in macbooks for 2 weeks now. so, i expect el cap to be running on skylake on consumer's machines in oct/nov. if not sept already. but that's management's call.

Even if that's so, running El Cap on Skylake desktop hardware will likely be fraught
with much early adopter angst in later 2015. As always it's up to the end user to
either wait a little or jump in head first. I generally prefer the waiting option.

Well, i do like DDR4 and that it allows me to install 64G instead of 32Gb. So, i'll wait out the next few weeks or months. I'm modding my G5 now, as i said, it will at least be a end of october before i buy my new motherboard. Should be a little more info then.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back