Contribute
Register

What will Apple do with Macs and OS X in 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice ideas. What do you think about the future of Hack Pro with Haswell 2011-3 socket. Hopefully we see more hardware options for Hackpro on this forum. Looking forward to build Haswell-E 2011-3 socket based machine.

One major headache with the previous Mac Pro was the size and weight as it was difficult to rack mount and weighed a ton! Now we have the new Mac Pro which is small in size but expensive.

I would like to see a more accessible Mac Pro (lower spec and cost) or a updated Mac Mini with a discreet GPU for people who need dual monitor capability for sub 4k video editing and live work.

theFrenchMan

Update: OWC confirms the new Mac Pro processor can be upgraded ... but can we downgrade the spec to make it a more accessible price?

http://blog.macsales.com/22188-owc-confirms-mac-pro-2013-processor-upgradeable

Apple would make a good move if they updated their Mac Mini to Haswell. OS X Yosemite works pretty good for a name. MacBook Air would be good with colors and have the choice to have a silver color.

peachlove:wave:

My Predictions for Macs in 2014:
  • Mac Mini
I think Apple will do a minor upgrade to the Mac Mini in early 2014. Consisting of a Haswell CPU upgrade, Switch to SSD (256GB Standard for base-line model), Intel HD 5000 GPU and a price drop for the base-line model. The higher-end model will most likely to include the Intel Iris 5100 GPU as standard and a higher-capacity SSD.
Apple will do a newer refresh of the Mac Mini in late 2014, This refresh is going to be a more radical redesign. Specs wise it will most likely include the Broadwell CPU, Soldered LPDDR3 RAM, Soldered Flash storage, and maybe for the base-line system a Intel Iris "6100" GPU (Iris Pro "6200" for higher-end model). Looks wise it will be slimmer, a new unibody enclosure because the ram will not be user-replaceable. The Price for this Late 2014 refresh I expect the base-line model will be somewhere between £400-£550.

• Macbook Air
Nothing too spectacular with this model at anytime this year, The CPU will be upgraded to Broadwell, 8GB RAM as standard (most likely for the 13" model) and the GPU will be bumped up to Intel Iris "6100" as standard across the lineup. The Price will drop around £100 for the base-line 11" and 13" models.
  • Macbook Pro
Some as the air, minor upgrades across the board. Broadwell upgrade, higher Flash compacity, GPU upgrade to Iris "6100" and Iris Pro "6200" maybe the RAM speed will be increased to the same speed as the new Mac Pro (1833MHz). The old non-Retina Models will disappear and retire and maybe a 17" Macbook Pro with retina will be announced. The Price drop for the 13" and 15" models will drop another £100.
  • iMac
The 27" iMac will include a Retina Display while the 21.5" iMac will have a normal display. Apart from that the iMacs will also include a CPU and GPU upgrade to Broadwell and Iris "6100" and Iris Pro "6200". and a price drop around £50 I'm expecting.
  • Mac Pro (2014 refresh)
This is going to include some big but minor changes, new CPU, new GPU (most likely called the D1200 for the base-line model), DDR4 memory (RAM limit will be higher therefore, I reckon around the 128GB mark) and a higher compacity and faster PCIe Flash storage. No changes to the price, it will stay the same.

• Mac OS 11
Apple will most likely to introduce the successor of the Mac OS X series, Most likely called Mac OS 11 (or just OS 11). This will mostly likely but not only include - Siri, a New yet familar UI (iOS 7 like), drasticly improved API's under the hood and it being more efficient in every possible way. Mac OS 11 will be a free upgrade for anyone who has access to the Mac App Store and will be available in the fall.
  • Accessories
Backlit wireless keyboard will be the new keyboard of choice for alot of Mac (or Hackintosh) users, a new, slimmer (around the current iMac thickness) Thunderbolt 2 Display (23" - 27" models), these maybe have Retina but I wouldn't count on it. Price will vary between £600 for the 23" model and around £799 for the 27" model. A 4K Cinema Display will also be added, this will be a 31" IPS panel with the resolution of 3840x2160 with Thunderbolt 2, 4x USB 3.0 and standard audio in/ microphone output connectivity. The price for this premium monitor will be around £1499 - £2199.

There you go, there's my predictions for this year, I hope you enjoy reading this Essay of a post! :D

I personally think we will see a significant size change to the Mac Mini bringing it down to a size close or on par with the Intel NUC. The only reason I can see this not happening is it will require a external power supply, and it will generate a lot of heat. Especially for the professionals that want a decent i7 for editing, etc. While not wanting to spend a ton of money on the new Mac Pro, then again the way Apple has been going they seem to be aiming everything other than the Mac Pro to standard consumers. Thus the Hackintosh has gained a lot more popularity.

I think that they should create displays that replicate the look and feel of an iMac. If they release a 21.5" and 27" iMac then use the body and only out in the display and speakers ect. It would also be at a cheaper price. These will allow the user to get more monitors for a cheaper price AND you don't have to worry about getting a display that doesn't match your computer...

Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 3.49.03 PM.pngThis looks weird to me.The screens are at different heights and the colts do not match.

I hope apple does something with the Thunderbolt displays in 2014.

I would really like a colored MacBook air, I would actually go save money for it. I think the magic trackpad and the wireless keyboard might be integrated into one device with a big touch screen where are letters on.
I also hope they are going to extend the Budget=color idea to iPads, macs and MacBooks witch would mean a colored MacBook air, Mac mini and iPad mini. Also would I love if the accesoires like the keyboard or magic mouse would be available in colors, also not having to replace battery's, then do the wireless charging that is on some android phones as some kind of a mouse mat.

Liam

I believe it is safe to say that a new MacMini will be announced with a drastic Haswell redesign. The new form factor will be half the size of the NUC or BRIX; Everyone's minds will be blown at how small and powerful Apple made this sleek little machine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back