Contribute
Register

What Wifi/Bluetooth card to buy for AirDrop/Airplay/Handoff/Continuity to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think either or will be fine, your board has enough PCIe slots, and also the m.2 slot for an adapter + the proprietary Apple NIC
A PCIe adapter works too.
but i used up both my m2 slots. any alternative besides m2 slots that i can plug in?

is fenvi = BCM94360CD?

i am confused, i see you saying that it is BCM94360CD.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Desktop-...884906?hash=item41bacd352a:g:w2MAAOSwiDFYNqe6

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/PCI-E-Wi...758694?hash=item43d7964666:g:LvEAAOSwcL5XMJpr

if fenvi = BCM94360CD, then does the bluetooth, handsoff, wifi work ?

Last edited:
@xxcesarioxx
The Fenvi T919 is a BCM94360CD with the 4 antennas.

The board you have has 3 m.2 slots. Both of them are for SSD M key.
The one with built-in Wireless NIC is what i am referring to which is likely a A or E key.

There is m.2 M key adapter to apple proprietary connector adapter, but i only found them in Chinese site named Taoboa.
Someone in the NUC6 thread gave the link.

However, you can get A/E key adapters or a PCIe one relatively easy. I do believe they pretty much all ship from China tho.
If you use the m.2 A/E key adapter, the height of the card is too high for your IO shield to fit.

So for you, i guess a PCIe adapter or the Fenvi T919 is your best choice.

Does WiFi and Bluetooth have to be on the same chip/card in order for AirDrop to work, or can WiFi and Bluetooth be separate devices/chips on the same system?
If you are looking for Continuity features (Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and new Airdrop) they can be on separate devices but they have to be based on the Broadcom BCM20702 chip.

See Continuity Activation Tool

If you are looking for Continuity features (Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and new Airdrop) they can be on separate devices but they have to be based on the Broadcom BCM20702 chip.

See Continuity Activation Tool
Awesome! Thank you for the information!

Is that the only chip that will work, or are there others that will also work in place?

Is that the only chip that will work, or are there others that will also work in place?
AFAIK it's the only chip that will work.

AFAIK it's the only chip that will work.
And lastly, if this isn't related and I need to make a dedicated thread for it, feel free to point me int hat direction, in order for AirDrop to work, logging into iMessage is not required, right? It should just be installing the Broadcom combo card, installing OS X/macOS, and you're good to go? Or are there other steps needed like logging into iCloud, etc...?

And lastly, if this isn't related and I need to make a dedicated thread for it, feel free to point me int hat direction, in order for AirDrop to work, logging into iMessage is not required, right? It should just be installing the Broadcom combo card, installing OS X/macOS, and you're good to go? Or are there other steps needed like logging into iCloud, etc...?
AFAIK Airdrop only requires Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
See Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac

But if you install a Broadcom combo card, with a little effort, you can make everything work.
iMessage, FaceTime, Continuity features (Handoff, Instant Hotspot, Airdrop).
See An iDiot's Guide To iMessage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back