Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 334 26.2%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 509 39.9%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 107 8.4%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 261 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't afford the G5 when I was a kid. I guess I loved the design and have always loved mac computers

I am doing my first Hackintosh because I love Apple products but can't afford a real iMac so I thought I would try a basic Hackintosh. Love to learn new things and it would be interesting to see how long a Hackintosh lasts in comparison to a Mac product. Would it be just as reliable or is it going to be as reliable as a Windows rig?

Time will tell!

I love building PCs but I hate Windows and it helps me keep up with what's going on in the PC building world.

I love Mac, but finding it harder and harder to swallow the costs of Apple systems.

I get the argument that the new Mac Pro is for the very top Pro 3D rendering / video editing market, but is it too much to ask for an upgradable Mac that is in the prosumer price bracket?

When Apple moved to using Intel CPU’s way back, I found this forum and loved the mindset of folks working things out, also flipping the bird to the crazy prices they charged .

I didn’t have money to buy Mac products, didn’t have money for my own laptop. Money was tight.

I read and read, tried things out - swapping/adding hardware id’s for various kexts for example.

I built a Hackintosh laptop - a Dell E5430 (my works corporate laptop) using a spare hdd. My way of having a ‘free’ laptop of sorts, with some swapped out hardware. Then let it go for many years.

Back to today, well earlier this month I bought components from off the buyer’s guide (apart from the RX5700). I wanted to see how things have changed in the Hackintosh world and build a customac - partly for the buzz/challenge and partly just because Apple still charges crazy prices still to this day.

When I came across this community and discovered I could build a computer and have it run Mac OS, that was the inspiration. Many people I know have built their own machines, but they were always Windows based. I've NEVER been a fan of windows, I guess you could label me a "fan boy." (stupid term).. I've always used Mac products, always will.

So the prospect of building my own machine was exciting, and here I am. I've only built one so far and it is still going strong eight years later!! So I'm looking forward to building my next one here very soon. (Soon as my business gets back going after this ridiculous virus lockdown garbage is over)

The secondary reason being in design, music and multimedia, I could build a heavy hitter system for a fraction of the cost of a real Mac. So double win.

Being in the music industry as my profession we has all had to deal with a Mac’s and the inherent expense. The moment Intel Macs appeared I knew given enough time that a “hack” would appear. Being someone very involved with computers since the C64 I was just waiting for it to occur. When it did and I had the funds to build a “hack” specific machine as did.

There‘s been times where I’ve wanted to tear my hair out with reboots and system rebuilds but every time I got a stable hack I was so happy with it. Eight Years on I still smile everytime “Silence is Golden” makes a new OSX upgrade milestone.

I’m going to miss the pleasure of these milestones as I know owning a OTB Apple isn’t going to bring the same joy.

Yet I’m sure that “Silence is Golden” will live on doing something in my tech laden household. I’ll note that I’ve also owned a Macmini which died years ago whilst it continues on day after day overclocked to its limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back