Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 334 26.2%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 509 39.9%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 107 8.4%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 261 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS
I know hackintosh too late

I am a power-user and I've been using windows for as long as I can remember.

I've fixed/maintained a great number of PCs/Macs for friends and family over the years and I have grown knowledgable of both platforms whilst my knowledge of windows has always surpassed my OSX knowledge.
Having known most of windows's faults and weaknesses I've been able to circumvent most major/typical problems with my windows builds and haven't had any major windows-headaches - for the most part.

However, nothing is that simple with Microsoft.
With Windows 10, they have changed their update policy, and from what I've read, they are planing to push two major updates per year. Even with Windows 10 Pro one can only postpone such updates, but they will push them onto your system eventually (I am aware that there are ways to disable them through registry hacking and stuff).

I had the
privilege with one of those updates during the WannaCry outbreak. Since I have automatic updates turned on, I wasn't affected by the virus (hooray!), however, some Microsoft algorithm apparently decided to turn my PC into a guinea pig for their latest major update - it worked absolutely fine at first, but within a week or so, after I had deleted the system restore point, things started to get messy: Programs wouldn't launch for no apparent reason (reinstalling them didn't help), the system became very laggy and buggy.

The moral of the story is that if viruses don't break your Windows system, Microsoft always will.

With that in mind, I realised that the cost (in terms of time and effort) for maintaining a customised and functioning Windows 10 system would probably be greater than maintaining a Hackintosh! I mean sure macOS also requires some maintenance as well, but its far better than Windows in that regard, and not having to worry about viruses as much is yet another bonus.

I plan to keep my Hack until Apple releases something suitable for my needs (desktop-wise).

Other than that, I'd like to thank everyone involved in making a Hackintosh possible as well as everyone helping out.

Cheers
Thodin

I'm kind of a power user too.

I've built my first and main computer a year ago (still my actual rig) with macOS, Windows and Linux.
Primary reason is that I can have a system with my chosen hardware, not outdated GPU's, processors, platforms etc and a way more powerful system for way less money. I really hate the direction Apple is taking, which is "SOLDER EVERYTHING INTO THE BOARD SO NO ONE CAN UPGRADE AND THEY'RE FORCED TO BUY NEW STUFF! MEANS MUCH MORE MONEY!!!"

I also really prefer macOS over Windows for about everything, use macOS it as a daily driver with my MacBook Pro, and love to tinker and learn at the same time. Because I started using Logic Pro X on my 2012 MBP, I kind of had to use macOS to continue my work. Also, Apple's system works very well with Adobe's CC Suite, Blender (3D free software), of course Logic... Well, everything to actually "work and create". I do not get that "nice and working properly" under Windows. With the last (extremely sketchy) "Creators Update" and their 3D Paint, it makes me laugh how they want simple users to try stuff they will actually never use. Microsoft's OS is just not as nicely built as Apple's one.

I also use Linux to build and hack some Android stuff, like kernels and LineageOS etc. I use Windows only for gaming.

Oh and this Sunday I've installed my custom watercooling loop including the CPU and both GFX cards for some decent overclock :D
This Wednesday i'm rearranging all of my disks, because I've installed some M.2 SSD from Intel (600p Series), and my partition layout is kinda complicated. :lol:

Last edited:
My first Hackintosh was built on an Intel BadAxe 2 D975XBX2, in 2009 (convertit2mac).
My second one on an Asus P8P67 Pro.
My current one is built on a GA-Z87X-UD5 TH.

All of them where built to lower the cost.

Hello everyone, I'd like to kindly introduce myself to these wonderful forums. My name's Kenny and I'm a graphic designer for the most part. And a bit of a gamer. I ordered the hardware for my first Hackintosh last week and I'm now looking forward to putting it all together. I'm planning to write a nice User Build Guide about it.

My first and most trusted Mac is still my Macbook Pro "L8 2008" – it's been an (almost) unstoppable albeit slow force. Upgraded the RAM twice, exchanged batteries twice, upgraded my HDD (to another HDD … back when SSDs were still kind of unaffordable). It's still alive … but almost impossible to work with.

My second is a 2015 iMac 21" with rather low specs. But I won't complain since my boss sort of bought that for me. I'm talking 8GB of RAM, an i5 Quadcore and still no freaking SSD.

… So 2019 came around and I became increasingly frustrated by Apple's unsustainable top-down repair policies, soldering everything including Steve Jobs' remains to their logic boards – when upgrading your RAM or SSD could be as easy as changing a lightbulb. So I looked up a beefy iMac configuration that would maybe last the next 10 years work-wise and 5 gaming-wise. It came in around 4000€, the price you could get a car for. And that's why I turned to you, dear Hackintosh community. The build I ordered came in around 1500€ without display – that'll cost me another 650€.

So yes … it was mostly the price with a dash of upgrade- and repairability.

I would like to know what your PRIMARY reason was to build a hackintosh.
Another reason... It's almost as fun as building a car, it's cheaper, less dangerous, and I don't get grease all over my hands.

I'm going Hackintosh because I want an expandable, upgradeable Mac but can't afford a tricked out cheese grater Mac Pro / don't want a used box / don't want to rely on four-year-old hardware.

The cheese grater mac is 8 years old and if you have a 12 core model, it works very well. Mine is 12x2.66, 128GB, 256GB SSD, 4x4TB SSHD, RX580... Not lightening fast, but never bogs down with anything. Need to get the 3.4GHz CPUs but just haven't got to it yet.

Voted for "I like to tinker and learn" - I'd also happily check "I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back