Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 334 26.2%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 509 39.9%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 107 8.4%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 261 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still running a mid-2012 system (which still works great, btw) and at that time there was no Mac Pro. When the new trashcan Mac Pro came out, it was (and remains) ridiculously expensive. So I answered [2] but it's also [1]. Same as most, it seems.

Onwards and upwards.
Back when I bought the 2008 Mac Pro, the price was very competitive for what you got. Wasn't any more than equivalent hardware from companies like Dell or building for myself. And got native Mac support with it. I need to find a use for it, it has been unused for nearly a year now.

Back when I bought the 2008 Mac Pro, the price was very competitive for what you got. Wasn't any more than equivalent hardware from companies like Dell or building for myself. And got native Mac support with it. I need to find a use for it, it has been unused for nearly a year now.
you can hack it and put it onto the latest os.

The specs are def. my main consideration, after that I think price comes next. Spending 4K - 5K+ for a mostly non-upgradable 'pro' machine is madness imho.
I built my first Hackintosh end of last year... I was planning on selling my completely beefed up 2013 iMac and didn't want to get a new one. I want to add HD's to my machine, replace my gfx card and add extra monitors. The iMac limited me too much.

Before the iMac I had a mac pro 5.1 which probably has been the best mac I ever owned. Loved the way it looked and all possible ways it could be expanded. The build quality was phenomenal. Non-Apple using friends I showed it to still talk about it :)
The iMac was nice and fast, but somehow I never really loved the machine I did like the other Apple products I owned. I had a beefy PC for gaming and looked if it would fit the bill for a Hack. It did and so when I got it working I sold my iMac. I do still have a new 13" Mac-book pro, but for daily use / multi monitor I want a big rig which I can adjust to my desires.
If the new pro comes out and it is as good as the pro 5.1 (without it being ludicrously expensive) I'll certainly consider it... until then I'm driving a custom build macOS / Win10 machine.

In the end macOS feels so much better than Win 10. Win 10 isn't bad, Microsoft came a long way, but if there would be a good mac pro in the Apple line-up I'd not look at Windows for one minute. Ah well... We'll see :) the Hack fulfills my needs for the time being. I may even build a new one to bridge the gap to late 2018!

I've always been into tech and knew it would end up being my career, I was also about 99% on the windows platform. So when MS released Vista it scared the crap out of me because I felt like I had all my eggs in a sinking ship. Build my first hackintosh and since then I've actually bought two of their laptops and a mac mini. I still use PC and even starting to dabble more in linux now. Just never want to be all-in on one single platform ever again. I honestly don't build hackintoshes anymore but do like to read up on it.

I prefer to control my hardware, plus I HATE Windows!

for me its because i am A gamer.. (so i needed a PC with good Graphic card, and as well i am a music producer, and i really enjoy working with Apple Logic .
so with the hack i can have it all . dual system, 1 for games, and the hack for music...

The release of the Touch Bar MacBook Pro pushed me over the edge, after waiting to see(no) movement on the nMP. I own three cheese graters (1,1, 3,1, 5,1) and was disappointed with performance not far off my 5,1 in comparison.

Was an interesting and educational experience tying together years of tweaking Macs, PC's and UNIX... so much so that I built a second system soon afterward.

Pretty simple for me actually. Bought four Macs from 2003 to 2009. Two G5s and two iMacs. The last iMac in 2009, a 24". Then, three or four years later came the time to buy a new one. Problem is that then Apple killed the 24" and went with 22" and 27". Problem is that 1440p at 27" is too much pixel density. It ruins your eyes. Pixels are too small, plain and simple.

And the price went up. The 24" cost me maybe 1700€, today the 27" runs for 2500€, minimum. Why Apple stuck with 1440p/5K at 27" is beyond me. Especially a company like this should understand ergonomics. Plus the fact that combining internal graphics with Retina resolutions is like the dumbest idea ever. I am sitting in front of a BenQ 1440p at 32" screen and it's just fine.

Should Apple introduce a 1440p @ 32" iMac with a aGPU at a reasonable price, I will gladly buy that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back