Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 334 26.2%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 509 39.9%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 107 8.4%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 261 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My primary reason for building a desktop was because firewire is discontinued : i have a firewire device for music production running on a 2011 iMac that could not be connected to modern mac - As I did not want to spend money to renew this working device and did not want to use an adapter ... I decided to build a desktop with a Syba PCIe.
It is perfectly working and really easy to upgrade compared to an imac (power supply, ram, ssd, HD, graphic, wifi ...everything is easy to upgrade or repair when needed)
My primary reason for building a laptop is budget ...macbook are too expensive for my need....
My dell is not fancy, but it is working well for money, around 6 hours battery and fast enough for me !

I use Octane for 3d rendering and it requires Nvidia hardware, which Apple has abandoned for some reason. It's also nice to have 3-4 GPUs in the same Mac.

I enjoy learning about ways things break and finding the ways to fix it. I started back on Mountain Lion when I built my first Hackintosh to attempt running Ruby on Rails for a web dev class I was taking. Now I am doing it because I want to get back into learning Apple development tools, while also learning what new things I can manage to break in the process.

The five options in the poll are all applicable to me, but actually the biggest reason I hackintosh is I bought an iPad a few years ago, it was not a great value and it broke quickly, the support at Apple was not friendly either, so I feel like I got ripped off.
I feel better by using Hackintosh because a big selling point for Apple is their software so by using macOS without buying Apple hardware I am kind of "ripping off" Apple back and in a way it is compensation for my terrible experience in the past.

Some people might think this is stupid reason, feel free to criticize me civilly, no insults.

I just wanted to try something different.

And play around in GarageBand and drive Siri crazy of course. ;)

I had (and still have) an aging but still fully functioning Mid 2011 21.5in iMac for daily use. It has become more problematic in recent times so I wanted to be prepared with a new Mac. This decision was before the new iMac and Mac Mini release (either one I would be happy enough with). So, I started connecting the dots. I could build a computer, noob, huge learning curve. I love to tinker and this is right up my alley. Cheaper and better performance with future upgrades. It all made sense, so I went with the build. End result is awesome. I learned a lot and had a so much fun (and frustration) along the way.

Cause why not..if you don't like it format the drive and move on

I was looking into the new Bacbook Pro lineup and specs and was appalled that they don't have USB 2.0 ports anymore and at the price. Then a coworker referred me to Hackintosh so took my backup PC and gave it a shot. Worked out great.

I am desperately hoping Apple come up with a newer lineup with the Butterfly switches reverted along with a USB 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back