Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 334 26.2%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 509 39.9%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 107 8.4%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 261 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G WiFi
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Hello everyone, I'd like to kindly introduce myself to these wonderful forums. My name's Kenny and I'm a graphic designer for the most part. And a bit of a gamer. I ordered the hardware for my first Hackintosh last week and I'm now looking forward to putting it all together. I'm planning to write a nice User Build Guide about it.

My first and most trusted Mac is still my Macbook Pro "L8 2008" – it's been an (almost) unstoppable albeit slow force. Upgraded the RAM twice, exchanged batteries twice, upgraded my HDD (to another HDD … back when SSDs were still kind of unaffordable). It's still alive … but almost impossible to work with.

My second is a 2015 iMac 21" with rather low specs. But I won't complain since my boss sort of bought that for me. I'm talking 8GB of RAM, an i5 Quadcore and still no freaking SSD.

… So 2019 came around and I became increasingly frustrated by Apple's unsustainable top-down repair policies, soldering everything including Steve Jobs' remains to their logic boards – when upgrading your RAM or SSD could be as easy as changing a lightbulb. So I looked up a beefy iMac configuration that would maybe last the next 10 years work-wise and 5 gaming-wise. It came in around 4000€, the price you could get a car for. And that's why I turned to you, dear Hackintosh community. The build I ordered came in around 1500€ without display – that'll cost me another 650€.

So yes … it was mostly the price with a dash of upgrade- and repairability.

Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I would like to know what your PRIMARY reason was to build a hackintosh.
Another reason... It's almost as fun as building a car, it's cheaper, less dangerous, and I don't get grease all over my hands.

Motherboard
X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
  2. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm going Hackintosh because I want an expandable, upgradeable Mac but can't afford a tricked out cheese grater Mac Pro / don't want a used box / don't want to rely on four-year-old hardware.

The cheese grater mac is 8 years old and if you have a 12 core model, it works very well. Mine is 12x2.66, 128GB, 256GB SSD, 4x4TB SSHD, RX580... Not lightening fast, but never bogs down with anything. Need to get the 3.4GHz CPUs but just haven't got to it yet.

Motherboard
Intel NUC DC3217IYE
CPU
i3-3217U
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Voted for "I like to tinker and learn" - I'd also happily check "I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS."

Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 5379 - 1.13 - open core
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My primary reason for building a desktop was because firewire is discontinued : i have a firewire device for music production running on a 2011 iMac that could not be connected to modern mac - As I did not want to spend money to renew this working device and did not want to use an adapter ... I decided to build a desktop with a Syba PCIe.
It is perfectly working and really easy to upgrade compared to an imac (power supply, ram, ssd, HD, graphic, wifi ...everything is easy to upgrade or repair when needed)
My primary reason for building a laptop is budget ...macbook are too expensive for my need....
My dell is not fancy, but it is working well for money, around 6 hours battery and fast enough for me !

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I use Octane for 3d rendering and it requires Nvidia hardware, which Apple has abandoned for some reason. It's also nice to have 3-4 GPUs in the same Mac.

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I enjoy learning about ways things break and finding the ways to fix it. I started back on Mountain Lion when I built my first Hackintosh to attempt running Ruby on Rails for a web dev class I was taking. Now I am doing it because I want to get back into learning Apple development tools, while also learning what new things I can manage to break in the process.

Motherboard
LG Gram 13 inch
CPU
i7-8650u
Graphics
Blackmagic eGPU
The five options in the poll are all applicable to me, but actually the biggest reason I hackintosh is I bought an iPad a few years ago, it was not a great value and it broke quickly, the support at Apple was not friendly either, so I feel like I got ripped off.
I feel better by using Hackintosh because a big selling point for Apple is their software so by using macOS without buying Apple hardware I am kind of "ripping off" Apple back and in a way it is compensation for my terrible experience in the past.

Motherboard
LG Gram 13 inch
CPU
i7-8650u
Graphics
Blackmagic eGPU
Some people might think this is stupid reason, feel free to criticize me civilly, no insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.