Contribute
Register

What types of speeds are you getting with USB 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
80-100 MBps with a 5400 rpm drive. Speeds are faster when using USB 3 on Mac than when on windows. Going to get an ssd for testing but that will be down the road when they become feesable the be able to be used in an external inclsure.

So far seems only limited by the speed of the drive on the external side of the USB3 cable

5400 USB3 external = 63MB/s

7200 USB3 external = 110MB/s

I can still go faster over Ether though = 125MB/s

I strongly recommend not buying the 5400RPM portable USB3 drives. They are extremely expensive and only twice as fast as the same drive on a USB2 cable.

Anything that transfers slower than 100MB/s is too slow to pay a premium price for, but that is only one man's opinion.

I tried my intel 80gig SSD n the same USB3 cable but it wouldn't show up on OSX. I tried again on windows and got 175MB/s. Haven't figured out why the SSD won't mount on OSX with this cable.

this maybe a dumb question, But how does one test the speed of a usb 3.0 port?

Heres what I have . I have a seagate 750gb ext HDD. When I plug this drive into any of the back ports of my biuld it powers up and mounts. ( the icons show up on my desktop) and I can transfer a file on and off this drive, so I figure its works, but I dont know the transfer rate.

When I plug into the usb 3.0 ports in the front on my build, the seagate drive power up9 Little green light) but doesnt mount ( no icon on my desktop.

However when I re boot ( seperate drive) into Win 7 everything works fine. as in front and back back work fine. But once again I dont know my transfer speed which app are you guys using to measured this please

Cheers

rabbit74 said:
So far seems only limited by the speed of the drive on the external side of the USB3 cable

5400 USB3 external = 63MB/s

7200 USB3 external = 110MB/s

I can still go faster over Ether though = 125MB/s

I strongly recommend not buying the 5400RPM portable USB3 drives. They are extremely expensive and only twice as fast as the same drive on a USB2 cable.

Anything that transfers slower than 100MB/s is too slow to pay a premium price for, but that is only one man's opinion.

I tried my intel 80gig SSD n the same USB3 cable but it wouldn't show up on OSX. I tried again on windows and got 175MB/s. Haven't figured out why the SSD won't mount on OSX with this cable.

Some SSD's come unformatted and need to be formatted with windows before they can be formatted with Disk Utility. Thats how my Vertex 4 came. While I was in windows, I also flashed the latest firmware to the SSD.

For me under Windows Vista 64bit:

WD 7200rpm 500gb approx. 100MB/s read/write (Using CrystalDiskMark)

Don't have a similar drive to test under OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back