Geforce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I want to build the fastest (GHz) CPU bound system with 8700K.
I don't care at all about fancy stuff, nor about the Graphic card. That's for a server where Ghz is what matters most.
I need some advices :
- Do I need a Graphic Card (I don't need graphic power at all), or just using the built-in one works for an hackintosh.
- If built-in GPU can work, do the fact of using it hampers overclocking. If so, would a cheap video-card allow to turn off the built-in GPU, so internal GOU would not add to the overall all heat enveloppe of the CPU
- Is that true that 8700K has VTX or something like that thats' used in floats that can hampers OC ? If so can I turn it off (my server won't use floats that much, much more integer bound).

Thanks

Hi,
I want to build the fastest (GHz) CPU bound system with 8700K.
I don't care at all about fancy stuff, nor about the Graphic card. That's for a server where Ghz is what matters most.
I need some advices :
- Do I need a Graphic Card (I don't need graphic power at all), or just using the built-in one works for an hackintosh.
- If built-in GPU can work, do the fact of using it hampers overclocking. If so, would a cheap video-card allow to turn off the built-in GPU, so internal GOU would not add to the overall all heat envelope of the CPU
- Is that true that 8700K has VTX or something like that thats' used in floats that can hampers OC ? If so can I turn it off (my server won't use floats that much, much more integer bound).

Thanks

(1) The CPU graphics is apparently compatible with High Sierra so I think you can use it if you want.
(2) Use of the CPU graphics will probably contribute to the heat envelope. So using a discrete graphics card will probably reduce the heat coming out of the CPU (if only a little). But remember the graphics card itself also releases waste heat.
(3) VTX? You mean hardware virtualization? Do you plan to use virtualization software like VMware Fusion? I have no idea if it will affect the overclock.

Anyway, how high you can overclock depends on the CPU itself and the cooler you plan to use. The settings may help, but only by a little, I believe.

When it comes to CPU lottery, it's all luck based unless you purchase a special binned CPU. Depending on your luck, you may end up with a great overclocker or you can end up with a CPU that just doesn't overclock well no matter how good of a cooling system you are using.

As I stated, the only way to get a guaranteed great overclocker is to purchase a binned CPU, then install a good cooling system.

>(3) VTX? You mean hardware virtualization? Do you plan to use virtualization software like VMware Fusion? I have no idea if it will affect the overclock.

Sorry I mean AVX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back