1. iOS
Hi,

Recomendations??

- Corsair
- GSKill
- Mushkin
- OCZ

Model? works nice and not problems...

word on the street is OCZ is the "it" SSD, i got a 120 gb as my main, its amazing

from reviews its ocz vs intel.
intel handles small files better then ocz according to benchmarks,
where as ocz is just faster all the way around.
i have the 160gb x25-m g2 and the agility 2 120gb.

my vote goes to the ocz agility 2. mainly because its cheaper.

if you can wait, intel is doing their ssd refresh in a few months. then they will be on top for a while.

jpa said:
Hi,

Recomendations??

- Corsair
- GSKill
- Mushkin
- OCZ

Model? works nice and not problems...
Vendetta swears by his OCZ Vertex 2. PM him for his help. He told me to read the reviews, and I'll find that the best performing SSDs use the SandForce controllers.

The OCZ Vertex 2 WAS the fastest until...

I would NOT buy the OCZ drives right now-- they are the first to switch to 25nm NAND (from 34nm), and their drives are suffering two problems as a result: you get less space and much slower speeds than claimed/benchmarked using the older NAND.

Many users are reporting max sustained writes of 37 MB/s on the 60 GB drives. This is because OCZ used double the density of NAND chips, meaning half as many chips, meaning only half as much bandwidth of the Sandforce controller is being hit by NAND. For drives above 180 GB, this isn't apparently much of a problem.

The less space issue is that the denser NAND has 3,000 vs. 5,000 rated cycle life. The drives now set aside 5 GB of extra space that you can't use to make up for the shorter lifetime. On a 60GB drive, that's nearly a 10% loss. Formatted space is closer to 50 GB.

And the worse part is that OCZ implemented this change silently-- without changing model numbers of skews. Users sussed it out when their benchmarks didn't come close to advertised speeds nor speeds those with previous drives of the same model were getting.

As for Vertex 2 vs Agility 2, you'd want Vertex 2. It is rated at 50K IOPS vs. 10k IOPS. But I'd still skip these for now.

For a hackintosh, you should get a Sandforce controller drive (because TRIM is not supported by OS X and Sandforce has Garbage Collection). Don't get the C300, for instance, because its speed will degrade without TRIM on OS X. Read a bit about Sandforce based drives first... don't hit them with wild writes/benches or you can put them into a throttled state that may or may not revert until you secure erase the drive and reinstall your system.

Most importantly for a boot drive, look for IOPS. Many sandforce drives are rated for 10K, whereas the fastest will be rated for 50K.

I just jumped on a G Skill Sniper 60 GB because it has 50K IOPS, still uses 34 nm NAND (I called G Skill to ask), and will have more useable space than the Vertex 2. I also got a sweet deal on Newegg ($97 shipped).

That said, the 3rd generation drives are coming. They should start trickling out in the next few months, though I think the initial prices will be HIGHER than current, even though the 25 nm process should yield much lower prices eventually.

jpa said:

I've heard good things about both the Corsair and Mushkin Deluxe. Skip the Agility 2-- it is only rated for 10K IOPS (vs 50K on the Vertex 2) and if it's on the 25nm process (I don't know if it is yet, the Vertex 2 is) than you'll get worse actual speeds and less actual space.

I'll buy a Corsair F40 as soon as I can afford it, the 40gb is US$169 here, crazy! Take a look at this benchmark and you'll see the F series are almost identical to the OCZ Vertex 2 series.

justruss said:
jpa said:

I've heard good things about both the Corsair and Mushkin Deluxe. Skip the Agility 2-- it is only rated for 10K IOPS (vs 50K on the Vertex 2) and if it's on the 25nm process (I don't know if it is yet, the Vertex 2 is) than you'll get worse actual speeds and less actual space.

thanks

buy this option ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820226151

best coments, bets selection?

thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back