Contribute
Register

What Speakers Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I'm by no means an audiophile. I just go by what sounds good to my ears...

Anyway, over the years, I went through a few sets of speakers. I live in a small NYC studio so, size matters and I always looked for relatively small units with as little wire clutter as possible.

For many years, I used a SoundMatters MainStage. They sounded great to me and I really liked them but they took up a bit more space than I liked.
hd_hifi.jpg
Then, I got a Bose SoundDock Series III to replace it because I liked how it was more upright and took up less space on my desk. But I hated the sound immediately and only had it for a month before I got rid of it and went back to the MainStage.
$_32.JPG

Next, I tried the Ion Audio Anyroom and it's the one that I ended up sticking with. Takes up much less desk space than the MainStage and sounds much, much, much better than the SoundDock.
51a4PkCEgjL.jpg

I've used a pair of Creative Labs 265 powered speakers for over 10-years now:

CL265.jpg

They are surprisingly good compared with many modern ones. A good, rich sound. They built them more solidly back then. In fact I've tried upgrading a couple of times - the Creative A50's, HP-stylish white things etc - and then gone back to these as they are far better. (I have a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series III in my Amazon wish-list waiting for the price to come down but so far they haven't moved). I've dropped them and the grills have fallen off and I've stuck them back on and they keep going.

I mostly use that Headphone port and it's a fairly good output, just not hi-fi.

Small enough for a compact desk too.

I would definitely like to upgrade to something genuinely better but they need a small footprint, so I keep looking.

:)

For a while used some old crappy computer speakers and headphones. Now I'm using 2 active Yamaha HS8 plus a HS8 subwoofer for listening and for mixing. More details are at the Audio editing thread here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/135692-how-make-any-build-into-audio-editing-build.html

Besides headphones what speakers do you use for your computer?

I use a Topping ex32 amp with built-in USB DAC (no need for kexts) and a pair of Cerwin-Vega SL-8 speakers. Epic sound.

For portable use, I have a pair of JBL Pebbles speakers. GREAT sound for a pair of USB powered speakers. They don't sell them anymore.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 9.44.17 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back