ati hd 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

Just gor os x 10.8.4 on my i3 probook and am very happy! Just waiting for the ahteros wifi card to come in to finish this puppy up.

Quick question, though: I have 4gb of ram in it, in one slot. I want to upgrade to 8gb. Any recommendations? Can I use just any type of ram or does it have to be os x compatible?

Thanks a lot!
jg

You can upgrade with any portable ddr3 1333 ram. Your Probook can actually support up to 16gb ram (2x8GB).

that is great. thank you!

do you think it is worth it to upgrade to 16gb? I've heard people say it is overkill.

another question: would it be possible to upgrade the processor from i3 to i7? I see some i7 chips on ebay for 70$~ seems like that is more worthwhile than 16gb of ram.

Thanks a lot!
G

that is great. thank you!

do you think it is worth it to upgrade to 16gb? I've heard people say it is overkill.

another question: would it be possible to upgrade the processor from i3 to i7? I see some i7 chips on ebay for 70$~ seems like that is more worthwhile than 16gb of ram.

Thanks a lot!
G

Be careful with chips on ebay that inexpensive. They are probably ES/QS chips and they will not work with OS X.

I would not recommend going to 16GB if you plan to multi-boot with Windows. I did it based on others saying it worked and installed Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz memory only to find this slowed down Windows (Win7 and Win8) in boot, install and at run; it was so odd since MemTest86 and OSX both seemed to run fine with it installed. Through trial and error I discovered that running a single 8GB stick (either one) fixed the issue thus i don't believe either to be bad. I had re-installed Windows several times believing it was an install issue before discovering the extra memory to be the root cause.

Lastly, from OSX I ran GeekBench and found that 2x4GB (stock, PC3-12800 HP DIMMs) gave me slightly better performance than either of the 8GB 1600MHz sticks alone. Based on that I'm now running 2x4GB in my 4530 (primarily used with OSX), and have a single 8GB stick in my son's 4530 since he primarily runs Win8 x64 (for games and such). Sadly the extra 8GB now sits on a shelf as a spare part. I'd love to re-add it if someone can explain how to make the HP 4530 and Windows happy with it.

That's interesting Bad Bisquit; you say OSX DID recognize the 16GB? What was your score compared to the 8GB?

I didn't run that particular GeekTest since I needed Windows to work and was focused on how best to run with 8GB. Prior to removing the extra 8GB stick OSX and Ubuntu seemed to work fine; there was no noticeable difference in boot or operations afterwards, but for Windows it was a night and day difference. If I can get my son to part with his laptop for a few minutes I'll run that test, for my curiosity is peaked. Honestly there is little I run that requires 8GB much less 16 but it would be interesting to see how it impacts the benchmark.

Ya, well the option to upgrade the ram is always a good thing to have while moving along in the future.

You can upgrade with any portable ddr3 1333 ram. Your Probook can actually support up to 16gb ram (2x8GB).

Can you really go up to 16gb? If so what does that do for the HD3000 onboard? because when i went from 4 to 8gb the system went from using 384Mb to 512mb of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back