Contribute
Register

What motherboards with Thunderbolt 3 work with a 8th generation i7-8700K processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need your help finding a gigabyte motherboard (Z270 Series or Z370Series ) with built in thunderbolt or any other brand is acceptable

Hello, I need your help finding a gigabyte motherboard (Z270 Series or Z370Series ) with built in thunderbolt or any other brand is acceptable
Today id installed again osx sierra on z370 gaming 7 , but this time before installing i plug thunderbolt card gc alpine ridge gigabyte after i removed power cable from psu for 20-30 sec
After plug back the power cable i set bios settings as should be and the thunderbolt card i connect my thunderbolt 2 HD via Apple adapter tb 2 to tb 3 ok f10 save exit start boot from usb stick sierra install now you can see in in disk utility there are your ssd or m.2 ssd and also thunderbolt hd external :)) i got it work i have no eny audio interface or other thunderbolt device to test it but hd work i dont know if it stable or not how long it will work but until now work fine copy from thunderbolt hd to desktop 4GB files take about 8-10 seconds , any other problems ir issue i will try to fix it. Im also looking for audio interface thunderbolt
Other one issue it was with my wi fi bluetooth pcie , combo card you can buy it on amazon for 40 $ the card just plug and it work like original apple products but when you add this card sleep mode stop works its like sleep mac cant get in sleep mode but this is i can fix with some kext or clover configuration im working on when i have time

Today id installed again osx sierra on z370 gaming 7 , but this time before installing i plug thunderbolt card gc alpine ridge gigabyte after i removed power cable from psu for 20-30 sec
After plug back the power cable i set bios settings as should be and the thunderbolt card i connect my thunderbolt 2 HD via Apple adapter tb 2 to tb 3 ok f10 save exit start boot from usb stick sierra install now you can see in in disk utility there are your ssd or m.2 ssd and also thunderbolt hd external :)) i got it work i have no eny audio interface or other thunderbolt device to test it but hd work i dont know if it stable or not how long it will work but until now work fine copy from thunderbolt hd to desktop 4GB files take about 8-10 seconds , any other problems ir issue i will try to fix it. Im also looking for audio interface thunderbolt
Other one issue it was with my wi fi bluetooth pcie , combo card you can buy it on amazon for 40 $ the card just plug and it work like original apple products but when you add this card sleep mode stop works its like sleep mac cant get in sleep mode but this is i can fix with some kext or clover configuration im working on when i have time

If you’re not interteresting about thunderbolt and not planning to use it in future then i will recommend to you some mainboards which work for me easy without any clover configuration, the only what you need is create usb stick sierra 10.13
Rog asus maximus x z370
Asus prime z370p
Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7

So, if you want a Z370 board that has TB built-in, there aren't many. Almost all boards that support TB and are Z370 need an add-in card. I have a Gigabyte Z370, and I have the Gigabyte TB3 card and it works fine. There is one Asus Z370 (Prime Z370-A) board that supports TB3, but again, it requires an add-in card, and the Asus TB3 card has only one port that supports TB3. I have that card, but its on an X99 motherboard.

As for another motherboard that has TB3 built-in, the X299 Designaire has two USB C ports that support TB3, but its an X299 board, not a Z370.

BTW, all of the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming boards support TB, as long as you buy an add-in card.

IF you can find a gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH (maybe e-bay), and you can perform a bios update on it, you can run a 7700K on it (that would make it essentially a 270 board). It has two USB C ports on it that support TB3. I know because I used to have one, and this worked. But I wanted the six core 8700K, so I sold it and the 7700K that was installed on it and moved on to the 8700K and the Z370 platform, which I'm pretty happy with.

IF you can find a gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH (maybe e-bay), and you can perform a bios update on it, you can run a 7700K on it (that would make it essentially a 270 board). It has two USB C ports on it that support TB3. I know because I used to have one, and this worked. But I wanted the six core 8700K, so I sold it and the 7700K that was installed on it and moved on to the 8700K and the Z370 platform, which I'm pretty happy with.
go with gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7 , NOT GAMING 5 not asus mainboards , those MBO also work but asus thunderbolt its not stably
I have try on asus prime z370 , msi z370 , gigbayte gaming 5 aprus z370 , but for me work only on gigabyte z370 gaming 7

go with gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7 , NOT GAMING 5 not asus mainboards , those MBO also work but asus thunderbolt its not stably

I have try on asus prime z370 , msi z370 , gigbayte gaming 5 aprus z370 , but for me work only on gigabyte z370 gaming 7

Well, I am so happy you responded. I have a Z370 Gaming 5 and Thunderbolt 3 works just fine on it. And yes, it IS stable. AND, I have working stable Thunderbolt 3 working on my X99 board too. But fine, you just go and do what you need to do, and I'll enjoy my Gaming 5 (WITH working stable Thunderbolt 3)....

Have a nice day.....

Last edited:
hello guys
Today I Installed High Sierra 10.3.3 on Gigabyte z270x Gaming Soc. And I Installed Gigabyte alpine ridge Thunderbolt 3 from amazon 4 days ago. the card not appeared on system profiler... how to make this card work ?

thank you

hello guys
Today I Installed High Sierra 10.3.3 on Gigabyte z270x Gaming Soc. And I Installed Gigabyte alpine ridge Thunderbolt 3 from amazon 4 days ago. the card not appeared on system profiler... how to make this card work ?

thank you
I have done it on z370 , i have not try it one z270 ,
but try some of tips
unplug thunderbolt card and remove power cable from psu , plug back the thunderbolt card and after 30 sec connect the power cable to PSU , if you see your card in bios jst set thunderbolt enable and no secure , connect your thunderbolt divece and start your hakintosh , if not working than you have to install windows and update the last firmare for allpine gs ridge make it to work in windows first

I have done it on z370 , i have not try it one z270 ,
but try some of tips
unplug thunderbolt card and remove power cable from psu , plug back the thunderbolt card and after 30 sec connect the power cable to PSU , if you see your card in bios jst set thunderbolt enable and no secure , connect your thunderbolt divece and start your hakintosh , if not working than you have to install windows and update the last firmare for allpine gs ridge make it to work in windows first
Thaks for your reply
Of course I do. I see My thunderbolt configuration on bios..I Enabled it. No Security, make it bootable, skip Option ROM etc..still no luck.
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 16.44.00.png

on dPCI Manager I didn't see my thunderbolt card
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 16.45.08.png

maybe your tips (firmware upgrade) on windows will useful for me..but i don't have any hardisk to install windows on it
but anyway thank you. I'll try it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back