Contribute
Register

What motherboards with Thunderbolt 3 work with a 8th generation i7-8700K processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
how does installing windows driver affect macOS ?! huh ?

So, in Windows, the Gigabyte drivers utility that is installed allows you to set permissions on the Thunderbolt device. Usually, it's a one time thing, but that depends. Also Windows is the only place you can update the firmware, which both Gigabyte and Asus recommend. You can only make those adjustments in Windows, there is no TB Utility on the Hackintosh side.

Some guidelines:
  • if your TB device does not work in Windows (because it should after updating the drivers and firmware), it's very unlikely it will work on the Mac side.
  • This is basic, but everyone knows that there is no dynamic connection in a hackintosh, right? What that means is that you must connect your Thunderbolt device to the computer before booting? (Actually, I plug my devices in before turning the computer on)
  • For the GC-AlpineRidge card, Gigabyte recommends installing the Drivers first (only can be installed in Windows - there's no way to do this on the Mac side), then the latest firmware (in that order - drivers first, then firmware!), again in Windows. Gigabyte recommends updating both.
  • In the case of my Gigabyte motherboard, I really needed bios version F4 for everything to work well. But remember, bios firmware versions vary from motherboard to motherboard. Check with your vendor....
  • For those who may be having trouble, how many of you have enabled 4G encoding? I've always enabled 4G encoding and my TB Card(s) are working well (on both my Gigabyte system and my Asus system). But, others have issues with 4G encoding enabled. You have to experiment to see if enabling it helps or not.
  • Did you disable the serial port?
  • What slot is the card in? TB Cards are kind of picky about which slot they occupy (at least an X4 slot, right?) - try different slots....for some motherboards, the slot farthest from the CPU seems to work.....no, I don't know why.....
  • Other strategies would involve adding test2-2016.efi OR OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to free-up additional memory for booting. Check @kgp's posts for EFI files that show you how to use these and if you Google them, they are pretty easy to find.
  • In the very latest version of Clover, there is a OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi that might help too. Again, you have to experiment with these drivers to see which works best for your system.
  • @LateBloomer - On your Asus X99 MB have you tried adjusting the AVX settings? (Like AVX AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset to 3 or something else? That helped me a bit with lag)
And, remember, what works for me may or may not work for you.....all these files are readily available either on this site, or by using Google.....

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.38.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.37.27 AM.png

Attachments

• osxaptio-printf.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Thank you ! My next hack will definately have TB :D

In my research on thunderbolt the biggest problem seem to be the discontinued thunderbolt aic cards by gigabyte and Asus. In my area only microcenter has a solution for this. Asus z370 prime-a motherboard with the Asus thunderbolt 3 aic card. Microcenter informed me that manufactures (Gigabyte & Asus) have discontinued above aic cards. I prefer those two brands for my hackintoshes. I have not tested Asrock products.

Other factors in TB audio interfaces seem to be some just are not hackintosh compatible (Presonus) and others. So if your having difficulties in getting TB audio interfaces to work, they just may not due to how the Apple drivers work. I know some manufactures have the Apple drivers check for various Apple components in an Apple made Mac. Obviously a hackintosh do not have these components so the drivers fail to recognize the Audio interfaces.

In my research on thunderbolt the biggest problem seem to be the discontinued thunderbolt aic cards by gigabyte and Asus. In my area only microcenter has a solution for this. Asus z370 prime-a motherboard with the Asus thunderbolt 3 aic card. Microcenter informed me that manufactures (Gigabyte & Asus) have discontinued above aic cards. I prefer those two brands for my hackintoshes. I have not tested Asrock products.

Other factors in TB audio interfaces seem to be some just are not hackintosh compatible (Presonus) and others. So if your having difficulties in getting TB audio interfaces to work, they just may not due to how the Apple drivers work. I know some manufactures have the Apple drivers check for various Apple components in an Apple made Mac. Obviously a hackintosh do not have these components so the drivers fail to recognize the Audio interfaces.

I believe the reason for manufacturers stopping production of the cards is because Intel is going to build-in Thunderbolt into the new processors/system boards. That will obviate the need for these add-in cards. A simple interface (ports) will be all that is needed.

Hey Guys!
Good news for you guys, I built a hackintosh with the Gigabyte z370xp SLI with an intel i7 8700k and a GC ALPINE RIDGE and everything works perfectly!

I use an apogee element 24 audio interface via thunderbolt and it works every time i boot up apple. I had to install windows and install gigabyte driver once, and then I can boot right into mac os and it works. For bios, I enabled everything and didnt change any of the memory settings. I also updated the bios to f5 and that seemed to work. I first did everything but update the bios and I could not get the interface to be recognized in mac os. When I updated the bios, everything worked.

I do not have to boot into windows first everytime and only have to boot right into mac os.

Good Luck!! (It took me a solid week to get it to work, but dont get discouraged, it will work!!!)
Mind sharing EFI?

So, in Windows, the Gigabyte drivers utility that is installed allows you to set permissions on the Thunderbolt device. Usually, it's a one time thing, but that depends. Also Windows is the only place you can update the firmware, which both Gigabyte and Asus recommend. You can only make those adjustments in Windows, there is no TB Utility on the Hackintosh side.

Some guidelines:
  • if your TB device does not work in Windows (because it should after updating the drivers and firmware), it's very unlikely it will work on the Mac side.
  • This is basic, but everyone knows that there is no dynamic connection in a hackintosh, right? What that means is that you must connect your Thunderbolt device to the computer before booting? (Actually, I plug my devices in before turning the computer on)
  • For the GC-AlpineRidge card, Gigabyte recommends installing the Drivers first (only can be installed in Windows - there's no way to do this on the Mac side), then the latest firmware (in that order - drivers first, then firmware!), again in Windows. Gigabyte recommends updating both.
  • In the case of my Gigabyte motherboard, I really needed bios version F4 for everything to work well. But remember, bios firmware versions vary from motherboard to motherboard. Check with your vendor....
  • For those who may be having trouble, how many of you have enabled 4G encoding? I've always enabled 4G encoding and my TB Card(s) are working well (on both my Gigabyte system and my Asus system). But, others have issues with 4G encoding enabled. You have to experiment to see if enabling it helps or not.
  • Did you disable the serial port?
  • What slot is the card in? TB Cards are kind of picky about which slot they occupy (at least an X4 slot, right?) - try different slots....for some motherboards, the slot farthest from the CPU seems to work.....no, I don't know why.....
  • Other strategies would involve adding test2-2016.efi OR OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to free-up additional memory for booting. Check @kgp's posts for EFI files that show you how to use these and if you Google them, they are pretty easy to find.
  • In the very latest version of Clover, there is a OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi that might help too. Again, you have to experiment with these drivers to see which works best for your system.
  • @LateBloomer - On your Asus X99 MB have you tried adjusting the AVX settings? (Like AVX AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset to 3 or something else? That helped me a bit with lag)
And, remember, what works for me may or may not work for you.....all these files are readily available either on this site, or by using Google.....

View attachment 307365

View attachment 307364
Thanks for taking the time to write out the tips ! I’ve just built my Hackintosh today. 10.13 is working, now gotta get all the drives working. I’m using he z370 Aorus gaming 5 mb, any idea about activating WiFi ? It’s not showing currently on the top menu.

Thanks for taking the time to write out the tips ! I’ve just built my Hackintosh today. 10.13 is working, now gotta get all the drives working. I’m using he z370 Aorus gaming 5 mb, any idea about activating WiFi ? It’s not showing currently on the top menu.

The Intel wireless does not work on the Mac side, at least based on the research I've done, which was pretty extensive (it's also 1x1, which means it doesn't have great range or speed). I removed mine. I used this combo wireless/bluetooth card.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-802-11AC-WiFi-Bluetooth-4-0-PC-Desktop-WLAN-Card-PCI-E-1X/253265796374?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649....

But, of course, ymmv.....I've always used these Broadcom combo cards because at least in High Sierra, if you're careful and choose a card from a reliable vendor with the right chip, they're plug and play....(if you don't know what I mean about the right chip, then you need to do more research on this site...the answers are out there, you just have to look).

But you're welcome to try and make the Intel wireless work, and that would mean doing a lot of research on this site and insanelymac. Good luck.

Last edited:
The Intel wireless does not work on the Mac side, at least based on the research I've done, which was pretty extensive (it's also 1x1, which means it doesn't have great range or speed). I removed mine. I used this combo wireless/bluetooth card.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-802-11AC-WiFi-Bluetooth-4-0-PC-Desktop-WLAN-Card-PCI-E-1X/253265796374?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649....

Yeh I don't mind buying a another wifi card, just as long as it works. So all the Broadcom wifi cards work?

Any other specific brand? I can't seem to find this for sale here locally. ;-(

Last edited:
Yeh I don't mind buying a another wifi card, just as long as it works. So all the Broadcom wifi cards work?

Any other specific brand? I can't seem to find this for sale here locally. ;-(

Hmm.....no, not all Broadcom wireless cards work. You have to do some research on this site to find the ones that do. Time to put some work in.......and if you don't want to do that, you can try these from here.......http://www.osxwifi.com/.

Last edited:
Try searching for an Asus Z370 motherboard that can utilize a TH.Bolt 3 add in card. That's another approach that may work. Not seen many User builds with Z370 and these cards yet so you'll be the pioneers so to speak. Most info you need should be on the Asus website.
I have build my hakintosh 8700K , Gigabyte aorus gaming 7 z370 , samsung evo 960 1tb pro , 1080 ti , everything work well , also i have add wi fi + bluetooth combo card its work perfect , without any drivers or clover configuration just plug n play , i have also the card thunderbolt GC alpine ridge but until now i cant made it to work still there are no device drivers on mac about info
i have try it on diferent pci-e slots but stil didnt work for me , if there are someone who have isntalled the same card please let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back