Contribute
Register

What motherboards with Thunderbolt 3 work with a 8th generation i7-8700K processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got it working! I needed to enable "Thunderbolt Boot Support" in bios. Then the machine would restart and while POSTing, my interface's thunderbolt light would light up. Then I have to go into bios and disable "Thunderbolt Boot Support" because when it's enabled, OSX won't boot. Verbose mode screenshot attached. Do you think my clover file is missing a setting somewhere?

Sorry, I don't know what's going on with your machine. I think it unlikely (but possible unfortunately) that your issue is in your clover. It's more likely in your bios, but Gigabyte's bios as it relates to TB, is very simple.

Here's a couple of similar configs from other users. Check out their EFI files and see if there is anything different from yours:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-8700k-z370-aorus-gaming-5-geforce-gtx-1080-ti.235983/

Here's another successful Gigabyte Z370-HD3 install which is close to yours but not exact: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cs-630-macos-high-sierra.239402/#post-1643135

And this guy had success with a Gigabyte Z370 Ultra Gaming (again close but not an exact match): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rus-ug-16gb-ram-2x-ssd-zotac-gtx-1080.235987/

Hey do you know if the Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 would work? Its seems like the same MB just with less PCI express slots?

Pls correct me if I'm wrong. I need TB3 for my Focusrite soundcard.

Many Thanks!

I have a Focusrite Clarett 8preX working with my Gaming 5 z370. That being said, you have to enable T-bolt boot support in bios, reboot (at this point your focusrite will have a green light), then go back into bios and disable T-bolt boot support, reboot again and load into OSX. With t-bolt boot support enabled OSX will not load. It works every time following this method, but is kind of annoying. I would look into a different motherboard for that reason. If you do decide to go with a gigabyte, I have an Alpine Ridge card for sale that I bought directly from Gigabyte in Taiwan.

Other things I can't make work are: On shutdown in OSX, my motherboard LEDs stay lit. On sleep mode, the machine never fully sleeps, fans stay lit and spinning, but graphics does sleep. I can't wake the PC from that state so I need to reboot.

I have a Focusrite Clarett 8preX working with my Gaming 5 z370. That being said, you have to enable T-bolt boot support in bios, reboot (at this point your focusrite will have a green light), then go back into bios and disable T-bolt boot support, reboot again and load into OSX. With t-bolt boot support enabled OSX will not load. It works every time following this method, but is kind of annoying. I would look into a different motherboard for that reason. If you do decide to go with a gigabyte, I have an Alpine Ridge card for sale that I bought directly from Gigabyte in Taiwan.

Other things I can't make work are: On shutdown in OSX, my motherboard LEDs stay lit. On sleep mode, the machine never fully sleeps, fans stay lit and spinning, but graphics does sleep. I can't wake the PC from that state so I need to reboot.

Many Thanks for the tips!!

The Gaming 3 is not that different from a Gaming 5, which is what I have on my secondary system. But you always have to check the specs of each board and see if it will do what you need. And, I've already said, I don't know anything about the focusrite device.

The Gaming 3 is not that different from a Gaming 5, which is what I have on my secondary system. But you always have to check the specs of each board and see if it will do what you need. And, I've already said, I don't know anything about the focusrite device.

Also wondering if the onboard GPU of the MB would work if I only want to upgrade to a good GPU in the future?

Thanks again!!

Also wondering if the onboard GPU of the MB would work if I only want to upgrade to a good GPU in the future?

Thanks again!!

What I do now is keep Thunderbolt-BootSupport disabled, and I boot into windows, the Focusrite comes online, then I reboot into OSX and it works. If I need to shut down I reboot and do it from Windows. Shutdown and Sleep seem to not be working correctly.

What I do now is keep Thunderbolt-BootSupport disabled, and I boot into windows, the Focusrite comes online, then I reboot into OSX and it works. If I need to shut down I reboot and do it from Windows. Shutdown and Sleep seem to not be working correctly.

Huh? You mean you have to boot into windows every time you turn on your computer? That is kind of crazy no?

Pls confirm.

Huh? You mean you have to boot into windows every time you turn on your computer? That is kind of crazy no?

Pls confirm.
Yes, if you read my post before that you’ll see the other method.

Hey Guys!
Good news for you guys, I built a hackintosh with the Gigabyte z370xp SLI with an intel i7 8700k and a GC ALPINE RIDGE and everything works perfectly!

I use an apogee element 24 audio interface via thunderbolt and it works every time i boot up apple. I had to install windows and install gigabyte driver once, and then I can boot right into mac os and it works. For bios, I enabled everything and didnt change any of the memory settings. I also updated the bios to f5 and that seemed to work. I first did everything but update the bios and I could not get the interface to be recognized in mac os. When I updated the bios, everything worked.

I do not have to boot into windows first everytime and only have to boot right into mac os.

Good Luck!! (It took me a solid week to get it to work, but dont get discouraged, it will work!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back