Contribute
Register

What monitors do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 920NW. Max resolution is 1440x900. I use it more for Final Cut Pro, sometimes for games like Flight Control, UberStrike HD and COD4 on Mac.
On Windows, I play MW2 and Prototype.
S203-1943-call4-ca.jpg

I use a 46" Samsung LN46C630 HDTV myself.

Sometimes, there is just no substitute for SIZE. :ugeek:

27" HP ZR2740w
Res: 2560x1440

I'm using a 27 inch Apple Cinema Display.

But I'm guessing your ps3 doesn't have miniDP support...

Keep in mind that gaming/graphics on monitors have different requirements. High resolution IPS displays are important for color accuracy, color gradations, and viewing angle. Meaning you want a big resolution, IPS display (ACD, Dell U series, etc) for moderately important photo/video/graphic design use.

Lower resolution, TN displays provide less color accuracy, poorer viewing angles, etc-- but offer much faster response times/refresh rates. So these displays, notably at resolutions for gaming at 1080/1200 are better if you're competitive at all. And TN displays are MUCH cheaper.

Both displays can look great, but the IPS displays offer better color accuracy and higher resolutions (generally) a the cost of gaming performance at the edge of abilities. I use my display for photo/video editing purposes... and yeah, I boot into Win7 for some FPS games (where refresh/response is important)... and even though this is a high res IPS display, the moderate performance hit in games doesn't bother me because I play for fun... and the bleeding edge of performance doesn't concern me (hell, I'm using an ATI 5770 at 1440p for BFBC2... so I'm obviously not that picky about gaming performance).

I use a ACD 27" too. I won't add anything else as the post here gave a great explanation.

However, I will add that I'm very into gaming on my hackintosh and the ACD is doing great. Granted, it is not the fastest monitor out there but it is more than enough to play any FPS available. Also, the fact that it is an IPS display makes it great all around, playing with friends (wide viewing angle), doing some photo editing etc.

Last but not least, if your graphics card has a mini display port, it also works out of the box.
Cheers!

zalman 23" with built in speakers. have yet to use it because I haven't built my system yet (waiting on PSU) but I did take the monitor out of the box and put the stand on. looks like a great monitor 1080p and everything but the fricking stand is tilted towards you making giving off a bright glare. as of now, I don't recomend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back