Contribute
Register

What Monitor or Display Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LG 29EA93

medium01.jpg

can you send some photos how os x lool at this freat monitor?

thanks

asus pb278q love it!!! :thumbup:

Drool.

Been looking into these 21:9 monitors. Can you give some insight to usage and usability in contrast to other 16:9 or 16:10 monitors you have owned/seen.

These are my first 21:9 monitors and compared to my 30"ACD and 24" ACD quality is comparable. Contrast and color look good and a bit less saturated compared to the Apple's. I also like that the screen is a matte finish instead of glossy. They're the only ones I could get a hold of in my country so haven't had the opportunity to compare.

Are you doing film work? What about layouts in editing programs? Color quality?

I work with mostly still photography and do a bit of video as well. Layout is good but would be better in FCPX if I could use the third display as the viewer and Lightroom only supports 2 monitors as well. Color seems fairly accurate although I haven't calibrated them properly.

The monitors are very wide. Can I ask why you went straight to three of them?

These guys do take up quite a bit of space with almost 90" of screen real estate I had to get a desk to accommodate them. I decided to go with three since I run 2 GTX 770's in the Hackintosh and thought I'd take advantage of the extra display connectors. Besides, it just looks cool and I can have a ton of windows open. The one disadvantage I've learned is that it's tough to go back to 16:9 after spending time with 21:9 monitors. These make 16:9 look like 4:3. Cheers.

Thanks.

My old iMac 27" late 2009 is now my hackintosh monitor, how about that? =)

I could have sold it, but honestly, between getting $800 for it and spending at least $500 on a monitor similar to it, which would have come without speakers, I thought I should keep it, and I'm happy. Not to mention it also serves as a backup computer in case things go wrong with the hackintosh AND is my shared media server.

Cons? Yep, a few:
- No brightness control as I unpaired my apple keyboard to use with the hackintosh. Fixed that by using "shades", a neat free app.
- No volume control when using it as a speaker, also, needed a SSDT to make it work. Also fixed that by enabling SSH with remote authentication and then osascript does the trick to change the volume.
- Every now and then I might have to reboot it because the target display goes crazy

Pros? Yep
- Personal media server
- Have a single computer to use with GlimmerBlocker for all our iPhones, iPads and other computers. No more adds in the house
- serves as a BT or long downloads computer. Since the iMac is about 99% silent, it is just on 100% of the time

I too am running an older iMac in target display mode. I have two keyboards and two mice, kinda pointless because I barely use the iMac. But the monitor is great.

Usually, I will turn on the iMac, then wait until it's fully booted up (which takes forever!), then I turn on the Hackintosh, and it will automatically go into target display mode and I can see my BIOS. However, every once in a while, it won't. I have a dual boot, so I press enter on my Hackintosh keyboard (without seeing anything) because it will go into OSX. Once it does, I do the Control+F2 and the target display mode will work. Kinda quirky but not terrible. My only issue is that probably 1 out of 5 times I turn it on, my mouse settings and desktop background switch back to default. Annoys the heck out of me!

AOC 23" 2343, not the best but it has served me for several years, And i have a 27 inch Apple cinema Display but right now is a expensive paperweight because i bought a Mini DP adapter from china for my 770 GTX with DP, and i'm still waiting for this. :)

Two Samsung SyncMaster S23B550.

My Hack outputs to HDMI1 on both by default.

Mac Mini on the desk outputs to HDMI2 on first monitor for when I have to fiddle with home movie/music library that feeds the AppleTV upstairs (the Mini's iTunes account, not my mine since I have stuff not age appropriate - no Game of Thrones, Rome, etc for the youngsters).

HDMI2 input on second monitor is the second display for the Macbook Pro when working from home.

I'm new to this whole thing. Recently purchased a host of components to build my first Hackintosh. I also was curious about which monitor to use and opted for the ASUS 23" MX239H. Looks very clean. Will let you guys know how it works!

Did a job late last year using a 2U 10.9 machine with 2 x GT210 and internal GPU (DVI) to run 1 monitor for the main application and 30 screens divided between the 4 discreet outputs using VGA splitters. Lots of cables and splitter boxes and medium resolution graphics outputted using VDMX to create a virtual screen spanning the 4 x GT210 connections.

theFrenchMan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back