Contribute
Register

What Monitor or Display Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't quite belong in this thread but here goes:

The answer is as usual: It depends. For VDO watching and editing, you can "limit" yourself to a 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor. Technology wise, TN panels are quite good for watching VDO due to their fast response times, and they are cheap to make, so this benefits the majority of the population I'd say.

Now, for doing editing of VDO on a more than amateur level, you face one thing with the TN panels and that is their inability to represent the correct color, needed for VDO and photo editing. In that regard you will need to switch to an IPS panel or some other technology like MVA panels although you may take a leap of faith there, so read up on the tests etc. What is the problem with IPS panels is their slow response. So quick action scenes is one of the problems which some manufacturers cope with better than others. TN panels afaik use 6 bit color depth and IPS panels 8 bit or some even 10 bit.
The other thing about photo editing is the screen width/height ratio. 1080p panels and cheaper panels have a 16:9 ratio, while more expensive panels will be able to show 1920x1200 which is a 16:10 ratio. This ratio is favored by some photographers, functions like Pivot is nice to edit photos in portrait mode, and let's then not talk about color calibration hardware, built in or not, and so on and so forth.
A good solid photo editor monitor will set you back a lot of money, for brands like Quato, or the NEC professional range etc. Think, 1000, 2000 dollars and more.

So, finding that monitor that fits most bills, does everything you want good, well, probably won't find it. So either live with it, or buy more than one with different panels like one TN panel, and another with an IPS panel. LG has some cheap IPS panels in the 23" arena for little money. Read the reviews though as you get what you pay for.

I just got this in yesterday....its the same panel thats in the 27" cinema display....for about $700 less.

Catleap Q271 27" - 2560x1440 | DVI | HDMI | DSub | Speakers (decent)

Ships from Korea, so a little risk there. But, for $400....oh god it's gorgeous. No dead pixels, just pure joy. No issues with my purchase.

Well now that I think of it, there was one, but it worked out in my favor. I ordered a model with HDMI 1.3, but the seller said he didn't have any that passed his "tests" so he offered me a slightly more expensive one for free. (about 10-20 bucks) that included a better stand and HDMI 1.4.

Looking for more cash, and a way to connect another...drool.
how good is this really looking for a new monitor. Is it really the same panel doesn't say anywhere as well. How do the other models fare - the 270? thanks :)

Only about 4 months late but, it looks fantastic. As good as the Apple display to me. I've been told it is the same panel. I don't have a way to prove it though. Seeing is believing though.

dgm
Larger Views
IPS-2701WPH

27" Diagonal IPS Panel

Resolution 2560 x 1440 (WQHD)
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Pixel Pitch 0.2331 mm
Display Colors 16.7M
Brightness (cd/m2) 350cd/m2

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 247
Got me 2x Samsung SA700's a while back when they were clearing stock as they discontinued the monitor.

SA700_FRONT.jpg

120Hz with half decent 3D (Which tbh I din't buy them for) for £140 each. Bargin if I do say so my self :)

eW3AF.png

Windows computer shown is a dual book :)

I'm running 4 monitors total:

Main displays: 2 x 23" older Apple LED Cinema Displays on either side and 1 new 24" Apple Cinema Display in the centre as my primary. I also have my older 32" Toshiba HD TV connected for watching movies and playing video games. My setup is working great right now and all 4 are being pushed by my MSI 660 ti GPU. My setup is not ergonomic right now. I'm planning to get a very large custom made desk and mount the TV above the monitors. I like having my CPU tower up at eye level.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 328
Hey guys,

I m using a Crossover 27inch 2560x1440 Monitor.( IPS )
I love it !!
With my 6850 I experienced stuttering on some high res youtube clips, upgraded to an 7970 which works perfect for me now, even with FPS games.
On windows I did color calibration with the amd catalyst software, any suggestions how I could calibrate it in macos (colors are beautiful, but I guess not "standard"!?)

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back