Contribute
Register

What kind of performance am I looking to gain by upgrading to the following components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97N-WIFI
CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
MSI RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All,

I built a hackintosh around 3 years ago with very basic hardware. I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the following recommended ccomponents and how much performance I can gain. Also, if anyone has a set of tools to benchmark a hack's performance that would be great.

Anyway, here's what I'm looking to upgrade:
1) i5 4460 to i5 8600k
2) gigabyte z97n-wifi to ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING
3) G.Skill Sniper 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1333 Memory to Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D240FSB 2400 MHz, DDR4
4) 250gb bx100 ssd to Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III
5) Maybe an apple wifi card to enable continuity (it's always connected via ethernet anyway so never needed wifi)

Appreciate any feedback you can give me.

You would get two more cores, faster ram and a larger, faster sata SSD with the new Coffee Lake refresh build. Probably noticeably better performance. Note that you can't use your 980 Ti with Mojave or Catalina. Would only work with High Sierra. Also the Z390 boards don't have native NVRAM AFAIK. I don't own one myself.

You would get two more cores, faster ram and a larger, faster sata SSD with the new Coffee Lake refresh build. Probably noticeably better performance. Note that you can't use your 980 Ti with Mojave or Catalina. Would only work with High Sierra. Also the Z390 boards don't have native NVRAM AFAIK. I don't own one myself.

Thanks! Currently on Mojave with an MSI RX 580.

I don't really need to upgrade per se. But it just feels weird that my 2018 macbook pro 13" feels faster than my desktop.

The old parts will also be used to fund a windoze machine to put the 980ti to some use lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back