Contribute
Register

What is your oldest Hackintosh still in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigabyte X58A UD3R Motherboard
3.46 6 Core Xeon Intel
12GB RAM
Bluetooth/Wifi on my T919 Fenvi PCI card
Alpine Bridge TB3 Card Modded so I got USB 3.1 and TB3 at around 1200MB/S
Magic Keyboard and Trackpad
1 TB SSD + 16TB RAID
Monterey
6900XT GPU

Built it in 2010 before I knew about hackintosh. Ran windows. Then stumbled on TonyMac, and it all worked out with a lot of debugging over the years. I do film editing on it for work and audio production (Pro Tools and Davinci).

My two oldest Hacks are now upstairs along with my Mac PPC G5. Top is Mini-ITX 2 in its Rosewill RS-MI-01-BK case, below is Mini-ITX 1 in its Apex MI-008 case. (The only difference between the two stock cases is the front bezel.) The cover of the top computer has been "hacked" to allow use of a BioStar AMD RX 560 graphics card. The earlier, lower case contains a Gigabyte Nvidia GT 1030 card, which fits inside without mods.

Upstairs 1.jpg

Last edited:
Still have my X79 (Asus P9X79WS) 4930K working like a charm on 12.6 with Power Management
Have also an old HP Elitebook 8760w on Sierra with moded Atheros card for whitelisting Bios compatibility

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 00.00.14.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 00.00.14.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
My oldest, although not in 100% current use, is my first build. This was probably the most fun I had building a machine. It took a TON of planning, had to save up a fair amount of cash, and work on it in my spare time between school and work. The only updates it has had is I swapped to a different board to be able to install Catalina awhile back.

Lately my Hackintoshes have been on Lenovo laptops for my girls who are 6 and 9. They're inexpensive and easy to Hsckintosh. Their latest ones as Lenovo T460S models.

It wasn't ever a daily driver but a great secondary machine to use for stuff when I was letting my MacPro crunch through video conversions. I still fire it up from time to time but most often it sits on the shelf next to an actual QuickSilver G4.

I may do another resurrection to it and see of I can get Big Sur or Monterey running on it with OpenCore. Anyone have a working OpenCore EFI for an i5-650 and an nVidia GT 610 or nVidia GeForce 740?

I just don't have the time for projects as much anymore. I work two full time jobs, two kids and married.

Last edited:
My first build
Ga Z77 UP5 TH
I7- 3770K
RX580

Attachments

• BEF0F614-36A0-4CD6-B6AE-5ACACFBE9EED_1_105_c.jpeg
    BEF0F614-36A0-4CD6-B6AE-5ACACFBE9EED_1_105_c.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 31
I'm still using my Dell 9020 MT hackintosh as my main computer. Its running mojave via clover, and does everything i need from a computer. I have thought about building a new hac and trying opencore but thats as far as its gone! I have zero problems with this hackintosh, it just works!
Has a 4790k cpu, mojave and windows running on separate ssds, new silent case, 32gb ram, rx580. Built as per trs96's excellent instructions. Cost very little to set up.
I do play games on windows with steam but enjoy older retro games so have no issues running at 1440p. Newest game would probably be rage2!

I ordered a refurb Mac Studio with AppleCare+ this morning. That likely spells the end for my last Dell i7 9020 (USFF) Hack. I put 4 of those old Dells in use the last couple of years thanks to tsr96's easy to follow guides. They're still fine for most everything but they're all running Catalina. 3 of the 4 have been shelved.

I bought a base M1 Mini in 2020 and loved it. But sold it to my brother in 2021 because I was on the road, and got a base M1 Air. Sold him the Air a couple of weeks ago because I'm working at home now. Tried getting by with Hacks and a 2014 Mini but I was spoiled by the M1s. Gave in and ordered the Studio when it came back in refurb stock.

Thanks to everyone here for the support and great info. I'll keep checking in to see if any of my gaming PCs might serve me well as Hacks in the future.
Those tiny little i7 Dell 9020s are nifty little machines. Literally picked one up out of recycling at my new job. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, my main Hackintosh rig (i7 3770K, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, 32GB, GTX 980ti) was killed by a power surge caused by the power transformer in front of my apartment collapsing into the Earth. I'm currently using an Optiplex 9020 USFF to resurrect my old build. Thankfully, it looks like the SSD lived. In addition to finally having my Mac again, I'm creating new install media for making new Hackintoshes with. So far, I have a Mojave installer made.

Only odd issue I ran into, is the 9020 refused to boot on a 2048x1536 monitor... 1920x1080 was fine though... Guess the iGPU just doesn't support that resolution, or something... It only took me 3 hours, giving up, and trying the machine at work... taking it home, having it not work, and then realizing the difference, to finally solve that one... Once I solved that though, I can say I've been nothing buy overjoyed to have such a convenient little box to host my Mac on!

Really undecided how I wanna proceed in the long run... M1/M2 macs are promising, but the limited monitor support is a serious issue for me. I run a lot of old apps too, so Catalina and beyond are a sore spot too... I kinda wish someone would develop an app that can run 32-bit Mac apps on Catalina+ versions of Mac OS...

Gigabyte X58A UD3R Motherboard
3.46 6 Core Xeon Intel
12GB RAM
Bluetooth/Wifi on my T919 Fenvi PCI card
Alpine Bridge TB3 Card Modded so I got USB 3.1 and TB3 at around 1200MB/S
Magic Keyboard and Trackpad
1 TB SSD + 16TB RAID
Monterey
6900XT GPU

Built it in 2010 before I knew about hackintosh. Ran windows. Then stumbled on TonyMac, and it all worked out with a lot of debugging over the years. I do film editing on it for work and audio production (Pro Tools and Davinci).
Using Opencore? If so, which version? I have been wanting to update my rig badly. I am still on 10.14.6. I have same motherboard and CPU. Would love to get to Monterrey, of Big Sure at least on this old dude.

2013 Gigabyte Brix i5-4200, dual-core 1.6 Ghz, mSATA

Mojave on Clover using the classique TonyMacx86 beasts.

Used daily as a HTPC with Kodi. It pushes h264 1080p and passthrough audio over HDMI to a Sony PJ and a cheap Denon surround. PJ to be used in dark, but looks and sounds good.

Keeps on truckin' except when RTC battery wears out, then it gets weird.

brix_0906-1.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4587.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back