Contribute
Register

What is your oldest Hackintosh still in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oldest hack? That would be the last system in my signature, based on a B75 motherboard and a Xeon 1230 v2 CPU.

That system is running on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6. It can also boot Mavericks / Yosemite / El Capitan if I want to.

I don't see any point in trying to run the "more modern" releases like Big Sur and Monterey on any of my systems.

My skylake from 2016 was my first hack, still use but it runs linux as it is just my plex server now.
I have 3 that I built, but I find that I hardly ever use macOS anymore.

My very first hack was the Dell Mini 9, back in 2011, still dual booting Windows XP and MacOS 1.6.7 through a Chameleon variant.
It never was satisfactory with 10.6.8 and it's not supported by Clover or OC.
Its only big flaw is that it gets so hot that it crawls if I watch a full resolution film or use too much of the Internet... (I had to convert movies to low resolution for making it usable)
I actually bought a second one, being used as an audio processor for the TV audio (multiband compressor, EQ, limiter with Apple AU Lab.app). :mrgreen:

hackintosh_mini9_topcomp.jpg

Mine is an Asus P5Q-E (LGA 775) with the legendary Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650. Got it running Monterey 12.3.1 using OpenCore 0.7.8. Believe it or not, I actually still use it for web surfing, email and streaming music. Took me a month to work out the kinks but everything works except sleep which I don't use anyway. If anyone is interested in my EFI you can find it here.

Last edited:
My oldest Intel system is a Dell D630 laptop from 2007, currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

It has in the past run OS X Mountain Lion, Mavericks Yosemite and Sierra but wiped that and re-installed SL 10.6.8. Laptop has Penryn Core 2 Duo CPU, NVS 135M GPU, maxed out at 4GB RAM. Works OK, but I don't use it often, usually when I am really bored I'll have a play around with it.

My oldest Hackintosh is Mini-ITX 1(below), and has been "banished" to our upstairs bonus room along with a 17" ASUS 1280 x 1024 monitor, and a Bose Companion 20 speaker system. (My Early 2005 PPC G5 Mac is the oldest of all my computers.) Morning sunlight coming through the east window makes it necessary to close the drapes when using either computer, unless it's really cloudy.
P.S. If anyone cares, I have found the nVidia GT1030 graphics card to be the best available that will actually fit in the MI-800 case.

Haswell and G5.jpg

Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI | i7 3770K | Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8GB | 16 GB RAM | some SSD's in Silverstone SG07 Case from late 2012!

Attachments

• SG07B-W-3-4-2.jpg
    SG07B-W-3-4-2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 38
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back