Contribute
Register

What!. Is this the greatest hack to void a warranty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to watch the LTT video later.

I haven't even managed to get my Mac Mini even vaguely warm.

Edit: Just checked Apple UK store. Base MBA 256gb model = 7-core GPU. 500gb model = 8-core GPU.

:)

Last edited:
If I had one of these MacBook Airs, I would probably do the thermal pad mod even though I probably wouldn't stress it much. Knowing that it would likely never throttle and the cool factor (no pun intended) would push me to get the thermal pads. I even use Thermal Grizzly thermal pads for my Raspberry Pis...

I haven't even managed to get my Mac Mini even vaguely warm.

It's the same with the Air!, it just doesn't seem to get warm.

TBH Craig, I think it's only needed if you are maxing out the laptop running benchmarks or other stressful applications all day long.

I'm not doing any of those things, though I'm very tempted to try it and get some bench scores.

If I had one of these MacBook Airs, I would probably do the thermal pad mod even though I probably wouldn't stress it much. Knowing that it would likely never throttle and the cool factor (no pun intended) would push me to get the thermal pads. I even use Thermal Grizzly thermal pads for my Raspberry Pis...

Comes in .5 to 3mm flavors.

Comes in .5 to 3mm flavors.

I believe the fellas over on the MacRumors forum used 2mm.

IMO, the two best thermal pads around are (1) Fujipoly and (2) Thermal Grizzly Minus 8.
The Fujipoly is squishier and if too thick will squish to make it work.
The Thermal Grizzly is more rigid and firm and doesn't squish well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back