Contribute
Register

What is the simplest and most effective card to buy for wifi in my hack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 580
Hello, i've read the buyer's guide but i don't really find an answer to my question.

My configuration is i7 8700 in a z370 hd3 p from gigabyte which works great but i'm searching a wifi card because i have changed things home and i need wifi, i have a new strong internet connexion so i want this wifi to be at least 200Mbits. Can anyone help ?

Thanx to all and this community which had helped me so much

Hello, i've read the buyer's guide but i don't really find an answer to my question.

My configuration is i7 8700 in a z370 hd3 p from gigabyte which works great but i'm searching a wifi card because i have changed things home and i need wifi, i have a new strong internet connexion so i want this wifi to be at least 200Mbits. Can anyone help ?

Thanx to all and this community which had helped me so much

Hi there.

There are some good choices listed in the Buyer's Guide but if you can stretch to a genuine Apple-used Broadcom card you'll get the best performance. Often these come pre-mounted in a PCI-e adapter. There are several available from various importers. Most of these come in "AC" speeds so faster than 802.11N. Because they use genuine Apple wireless cards they are naturally fully compatible. And of course the speed is the maximum macOS is configured for.

The best known of the second tier - so third-party cards in their entirety - is probably the Fenvi FV-T919, but there are several others, especially by TP-Link. These seem to be a mix of both Broadcom and Atheros chipsets. Be careful though, whichever you choose, because support in macOS for Atheros has been deprecated in Mojave and Catalina.

Thank you for your response i'll check the Fenvi FV-T919

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Fenvi+FV-HB1200

This is the best value for a pre-built card/adapter at least if you can order from Newegg.com.
If you have to buy from Amazon it costs much more so might as well get the FV-T919 instead.

These Fenvi cards also include BT along with Wifi. If you don't use the BT for anything no need
to attach the cable to your motherboard's USB 2.0 header.

Another option for WiFi only, especially if you don’t have a free slot, is a USB WiFi dongle.

The following one works perfectly on my Dell 7010 USFF. A driver from Edimax is required to use it but it is a native MacOS app and works fine:

EW-7822ULC, Edimax AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter Supports Web 2, MU-Mimo, Nano Size, for Windows, Mac OS, Supports Computer/PC/Laptop/Desktop Windows XP/7/8/1/10/Vista, Mac OS 10.910.14 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY7PL10/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

No BT but I don’t need BT on all my macs

Another option for WiFi only, especially if you don’t have a free slot, is a USB WiFi dongle.
What are the upload/download speeds you get ?

What are the upload/download speeds you get ?

The USFF is in a media cabinet on a different floor than the router, so not an ideal location — 76 Mbps down / 28 Mbps up.

The Fenvi 1200 pcie card in the Dell 9020 MT, and is in the same room as the WiFi router, gets 200 Mbps down / 70 Mbps up

Last edited:
The USFF is in a media cabinet on a different floor than the router, so not an ideal location — 76 Mbps down / 28 Mbps up.

The Fenvi 1200 pcie card is in the same room as the WiFi router, gets 200 Mbps down / 70 Mbps up

Pulled the USFF out of the media cabinet to get it exposed a bit more: 112 MBps down / 60 Mbps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back