Contribute
Register

What Is The Recommend i7 Board For Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I might well be wrong in this case, as the platform is fairly similar to the Xeon platform used in the Mac Pro's, minus one CPU socket and with a slightly different chipset.

I've only installed OS X on socket 775 and 1156 systems, so I don't have any personal experience with the 1366 platform and I might well have gotten this wrong as when I read about it all it was still early days.

The 930 is meant to be a very good overclocker if you're intending to go down that route http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2 ... u-review/1

Could you post your hardware and what guide you used. I'd like to keep this as simple as possible - perhaps even getting what you are running... if it's within my price range...:)

We've had people using Tonymac's boot CD on X58 systems, so that should do the job.

As I said in the previous post, make sure the motherboard has a supported audio and network solution and you might want to consider a Gigabyte board if you want to try to modify your own DSDT by following the guides here, although supposedly MSI boards are quite good according to some, as they're not meant to need the CMOS reset fix.

There is no guide that exactly mirrors my methods but I'm working on one now. The thing is that since it's based mainly around the DSDT and patched kexts it's taking me much longer than I thought to make it coherent...but soon it will be finished :)

But the boards I have installed to for others or own myself:

ASUS P7P55D-E
ASUS P6T
ASUS P6T Deluxe
ASUS P6T-SE
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
ASUS P6X58D Premium
ASUS P5Q
ASUS P5KLN-AM/SE
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7
GIGABYTE P55A-UD3P
MSI P55-GD65
ASRock P55 Pro
EVGA P55-LE
DFI LanParty P55 36

several laptops

My personal favorite of the X58 mobos is the P6T-SE since it gives the most value for your money. The others are much more expensive but unless you are an overclocking noob you won't notice any benefits for the extra money especially in OSX since most features are not compatible. Gigabyte is good also but there are not many choices in my part of the world when it comes to Gigabyte.

For the P55 I'd pick the MSI. There's more support for Gigabyte but the MSI is almost the same. All you need to do is change a few things in the audio pins...like one node and they are interchangeable. But if you are doing pro editing you will probably have an external audio interface and use core audio so sound wouldn't apply to you anyway.

If you've gotten the X58 to work with the vanilla kernel then that is great news. :) :clap: Like thelostswede, the last I payed attention to X58 was a while ago and it's likely things have changed since then.

thanks guys - great thread. Is/are there advantages to going with the i5 vs. i7? I will be doing video editing and photography.

Masterjack said:
thanks guys - great thread. Is/are there advantages to going with the i5 vs. i7? I will be doing video editing and photography.

For video editing and photography you are limited by hard drives rather than CPU time like audio. So if you do audio go with the 1366. Video and photos are fine with 1156 as long as you take the savings and invest in solid state drives. But definitely get an i7, whether it's an 8 series with the 1156 or a 9 series with the 1366 if you are doing any kind of production. An i5 is more for everyday tasks where time to completion is less of an issue.

adamsmasher said:
If you've gotten the X58 to work with the vanilla kernel then that is great news. :) :clap: Like thelostswede, the last I payed attention to X58 was a while ago and it's likely things have changed since then.

Ahhh I think I understand where you are coming from now. The Leopard days of the X58. Yea you did need a voodoo kernel back then :thumbdown: That's why I was already running the SL vanilla beta back in early August as a means of avoiding the kernel panic era of the X58 :D

FatShenanigans,

Thanks for the feedback. I sure would love to see your guide on getting an X58 up and running - no rush - don't even have the parts yet. I've seen several but if you have a simpler way and have all the needed files - Hey - I'm game..... :D

Thanks,

John

Masterjack said:
FatShenanigans,

Thanks for the feedback. I sure would love to see your guide on getting an X58 up and running - no rush -

LOL so would I...by all means I need a kick in the butt :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back