Contribute
Register

What is the proper procedure for buying and archiving the license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
CPU
I7-920
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Okay, so I'm a little confused on how you're supposed to buy an OSX license from the app store if you don't have a Mac already. Even if a friend has a mac or you are using a virtualzed OSX, when you buy the license will that license be tied to the App Store id or the machine/OSX install you downloaded it on? I'm wondering if it has some kind of serial number or ID tied to the machine or OSX install because I saw another thread talking about not being able to move or copy the downloaded OSX install to another machine. I'm concerned my purchased copy will be considered an upgrade of someone else's OS or otherwise linked to it somehow.

Also, how am I supposed to store my purchased download for later use if it was downloaded on someone else's machine (or a VM)? I want to save this for the future should I need to remake the Unibeast installer if I change hardware, etc. Can you just download it again from the App Store free when you're finished?

You create your own Apple ID and use it to purchase and download OS X.
There is no serial number.
You can download anything again that you have purchased.

Also, how am I supposed to store my purchased download for later use if it was downloaded on someone else's machine (or a VM)? I want to save this for the future should I need to remake the Unibeast installer if I change hardware, etc. Can you just download it again from the App Store free when you're finished?

Once downloaded, before installation, I usually open finder->applications, right click on the install app and select "archive" (might be "compress" depending on version) and create a .zip file. I then change the file name to the OS version - i.e. InstallMLv10-8-5.zip and copy it to an external drive.

As long as you want the latest version, it is not necessary to keep old versions - you can download the latest version from the app store at no charge.

You create your own Apple ID and use it to purchase and download OS X.
There is no serial number. You can download anything again that you have purchased.

Okay, thank you good to know!

Once downloaded, before installation, I usually open finder->applications, right click on the install app and select "archive" (might be "compress" depending on version) and create a .zip file. I then change the file name to the OS version - i.e. InstallMLv10-8-5.zip and copy it to an external drive. As long as you want the latest version, it is not necessary to keep old versions - you can download the latest version from the app store at no charge.

I guess this is where I'm a little worried because I've read its not possible to re-install that archive on another machine (say in the case of a hardware issue, upgrade problem, etc.) and create the thumb with Unibeast 2.x. I believe its a piracy prevention measure, but to me that would mean it would also prevent me from installing my legit copy back to a different Mac and making a thumb from it with Unibeast. I'm not a big fan of relying on the cloud, but I guess as long as Apple lets you download the installer again "forever", I would just login with my Apple ID (does this mean making a new user account on the Mac?) and re-download it, then use Unibeast from there.

Thanks again!

Okay, thank you good to know!

I guess this is where I'm a little worried because I've read its not possible to re-install that archive on another machine (say in the case of a hardware issue, upgrade problem, etc.) and create the thumb with Unibeast 2.x. I believe its a piracy prevention measure, but to me that would mean it would also prevent me from installing my legit copy back to a different Mac and making a thumb from it with Unibeast. I'm not a big fan of relying on the cloud, but I guess as long as Apple lets you download the installer again "forever", I would just login with my Apple ID (does this mean making a new user account on the Mac?) and re-download it, then use Unibeast from there.

Thanks again!
I have had no problems copying the .zip file to a different PC-Mac and extracting the install app the the applications folder and then creating a UniBeast USB.
I have also downloaded the install app while booted to SL, zipped it, copied to external drive and later extracted it to the app floder when booted into Lion or ML.

It doesn't really matter when you can download the newest install app from the app store, unless you particularly need the earlier version.

I have had no problems copying the .zip file to a different PC-Mac and extracting the install app the the applications folder and then creating a UniBeast USB.
I have also downloaded the install app while booted to SL, zipped it, copied to external drive and later extracted it to the app floder when booted into Lion or ML.

It doesn't really matter when you can download the newest install app from the app store, unless you particularly need the earlier version.

Okay, great! I guess the information I had seen was wrong then. Thanks a lot for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back