Contribute
Register

What is the minimum nvidia graphics card with the Metal v2 API for Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal works ok on Geforce710 1GB, I have one of it.

It cost me $50 U.S.D.

I have graphical overlapping only one one app called Xojo, but I think that Its a Mojave's Issue
Hi would you mind sharing your EFI folder? I have a 720 but Metal does not show up in system preferences

At this point, it really doesn't make sense to invest in any Nvidia card for use with macOS. If you will be using a more modern CPU such as Kaby Lake or newer, the IGPU will probably outperform a GT 730, much less a GT 710. Please see comparison link below:

On top of that, it's very questionable how much longer Apple will continue to include support for any Nvidia cards. We already know that Nvidia can't be relied on to supply any drivers...

With all this in mind, I feel it's an absolute waste of money to buy these old Nvidia cards for use with macOS.

In my opinion if you have an old system that works it has sense to invest in a cheap nvidia card to run mojave or catalina without buying a complete new system. I agree that purchasing a new system may be a good choice to choose motherboard with 630 intel graphics. But in the meanwhile, is the new GT730 geforce 2 gb gddr3 compatible with metal v2(and with mojave and catalina)? Thanks!

is the new GT730 geforce 2 gb gddr3 compatible with metal v2(and with mojave and catalina)? Thanks!
Some are and some aren't. You have to do the research before buying. A few I've seen on Amazon actually say in the heading whether it is Kepler based. Here's the best fanless LP Kepler version. Has 4GB of ram.

I would avoid the higher priced GDDR5 versions of the GT 730 and get the GT 710 DDR3 version for $40 less if cost is a concern. Not a huge difference in performance. You're not going to game with these anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOFD0G8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Check cards on www.gpuzoo.com to see if they are Kepler or Fermi based GT 730s.
Screen_Shot_30.png

Screen_Shot_33.png

Last edited:
thank you very much for explanation!! Do you think all GT 710 are compatible? Are they all Kepler and no Fermi?

thank you very much for explanation!! Do you think all GT 710 are compatible? Are they all Kepler and no Fermi?
Most of them are GK208B. Check each one on the GPU Zoo website to find out.

1609689803365.png

Last edited:
ok thanks, i am not interested in gaming but in 2D graphics only, desktop use. I should need to connect 2x 4k displays. Perhaps i should install 2 video cards, i don't think 1 video card is capable to run 2x 4k displays at full resolution each.

oh ok thanks,i understand. 1 Display for each card will be enough. Is any video/graphics patch needed to run catalina or mojave for any GT710 with Kepler versions or are they native? Thanks!

Is any video/graphics patch needed to run catalina or mojave for any GT710 with Kepler versions or are they native?
native

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back