Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nvidia had to use amd cpus in their server parts because intel didn’t had nothing new to offer, i’m talking about the launch before the new rtx 3000 series gaming card, when nvidia first announced ampere, now if nvidia can closed the deal, nvidia can make their own cpu and use them in their products, add new features and probably create their own line of computer just like they did with the rtx studio laptops

what i think nvidia wants to do is create a gaming console, possibilities are endless
They already have the Tegra chips and a console. The Shield has been out for a while now. This may however be a way for them to siphon off technology of other chip makers by studying their designs.

Pretty sure they’re after the server market. They’re not going to make a console, they’re online service, game streaming is where we’re heading, no need to make a box anymore.

No longer "If..." apparently. LA Times Monday Sept. 14 page A10.

Nvidia and ARM.jpg

They already have the Tegra chips and a console. The Shield has been out for a while now. This may however be a way for them to siphon off technology of other chip makers by studying their designs.
i seen the shield device fir a long time in nvidia web site but since i never pay attention to it, i always thought that it was something like a portable device, not really a true gaming console, who knows what they are planning to do, but they have something planned for it, they are not going to buy it to then figure out what they are going to do with it. whatever it is we will find out very soon, even if they already have some chips, nvidia probably want to improve what they already have.

some people mentioned that nvidia wants to add a co processors to their gpu’s . i don’t know if nvidia already did that or if is even possible

what ever the case might be, is better that nvidia owns arm for many security reasons, like another user mentioned in some other post.

regards

i seen the shield device fir a long time in nvidia web site but since i never pay attention to it, i always thought that it was something like a portable device, not really a true gaming console, who knows what they are planning to do, but they have something planned for it, they are not going to buy it to then figure out what they are going to do with it. whatever it is we will find out very soon, even if they already have some chips, nvidia probably want to improve what they already have.

some people mentioned that nvidia wants to add a co processors to their gpu’s . i don’t know if nvidia already did that or if is even possible

what ever the case might be, is better that nvidia owns arm for many security reasons, like another user mentioned in some other post.

regards
Hi, I own the Nvidia Shield TV, fantastic device here in he UK, far better than Apple TV, Nvidia fully support it now after all these years, bought mine in 2015 and use it every day, my grandchildren love gaming, Nvidia can stream all the latest games from Steam through servers from my Windows PC and we are now considering buying the Nvidia 3080 GPU (with the latest Intel CPU and latest Motherboard to avoid bottlenecks), I only use the MAC for Video editing, no I don't like Final Cut Pro I only use Davinci Resolve as I have a Blackmagic Video Camera with Davinci software bundled with it, editing is just as good on a PC or Linux, not fussed as I love Nvidia products, looking forward for any new products they may introduce over the few years, we will see, currently my GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI, LGA 1155 Socket, Intel i7 3770K and RX580 is running Big Sur with Open Core thanks to the support from this site

Last edited:
Hi, I own the Nvidia Shield TV, fantastic device here in he UK, far better than Apple TV, Nvidia fully support it now after all these years, bought mine in 2015 and use it every day, my grandchildren love gaming, Nvidia can stream all the latest games from Steam through servers from my Windows PC and we are now considering buying the Nvidia 3080 GPU (with the latest Intel CPU and latest Motherboard to avoid bottlenecks), I only use the MAC for Video editing, no I don't like Final Cut Pro I only use Davinci Resolve as I have a Blackmagic Video Camera with Davinci software bundled with it, editing is just as good on a PC or Linux, not fussed as I love Nvidia products, looking forward for any new products they may introduce over the few years, we will see, currently my GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI, LGA 1155 Socket, Intel i7 3770K and RX580 is running Big Sur with Open Core thanks to the support from this site
nice post, one of the main reason video editors like the mac is for final cut pro , but not only do we have davinci resolve on mac os but is also available on windows, so the days of having to buy a mac to be able to use a pro app, are over, i’m not saying that amd cards are bad or anything, but they can’t honestly compete against nvidia, specially against CUDA, nvidia is going to release a new version of cuda with the 3000 series, CUDA 11 that is even better and faster than previous versions of CUDA, so not only did nvidia updated their hardware but also their software as well, i like the 3080 but i’m going with the 3090, i know it cost more but i just want the best card i can get, i had a very powerful hackintosh but i had to install windows on it, now is just a windows pc, but is powerful and i can do just about everything, including gaming, i build a hackintosh with spare parts, i’m not going to spend any money on it, just the way it is to run mac os, untill is all over

i just hope that this deal nvidia have with arm can some how have nvidia and apple doing buiness again, maybe they can work something out, forget the past and start all over again

is a shame that we can’t use the 3000 series on mac os

but any 3000 series card on windows is going to be good for gpu encoding and gaming

Last edited:
To each their own, but Windows doesn't do a thing for me. I light game in Mac but my Mac and Hacks are for development and light Video. I'll use an NVIDIA card for ML in the future (on Linux) for a side system. Not fussed at all with the direction as I write code for multi-platform and also the Apple ecosystem. Windows is a terrible platform for development (IMHO) and just isn't worth any of the trouble.

I think the 3000-series is cool in all, but I don't have a use for it right now. I don't look for gamey-cool stuff to play with and impress the youtubers.

Anyway enough of the rant, I still say this has no impact on Apple what so ever. Apple silicon Macs should prove nice. I will grab a light laptop to replace my Dell Hack laptop (want super light, small and low power consumption.) Later on we will see what they bring to the table.

nice post, one of the main reason video editors like the mac is for final cut pro , but not only do we have davinci resolve on mac os but is also available on windows, so the days of having to buy a mac to be able to use a pro app, are over, i’m not saying that amd cards are bad or anything, but they can’t honestly compete against nvidia, specially against CUDA, nvidia is going to release a new version of cuda with the 3000 series, CUDA 11 that is even better and faster than previous versions of CUDA, so not only did nvidia updated their hardware but also their software as well, i like the 3080 but i’m going with the 3090, i know it cost more but i just want the best card i can get, i had a very powerful hackintosh but i had to install windows on it, now is just a windows pc, but is powerful and i can do just about everything, including gaming, i build a hackintosh with spare parts, i’m not going to spend any money on it, just the way it is to run mac os, untill is all over

i just hope that this deal nvidia have with arm can some how have nvidia and apple doing buiness again, maybe they can work something out, forget the past and start all over again

is a shame that we can’t use the 3000 series on mac os

but any 3000 series card on windows is going to be good for gpu encoding and gaming

To each their own, but Windows doesn't do a thing for me. I light game in Mac but my Mac and Hacks are for development and light Video. I'll use an NVIDIA card for ML in the future (on Linux) for a side system. Not fussed at all with the direction as I write code for multi-platform and also the Apple ecosystem. Windows is a terrible platform for development (IMHO) and just isn't worth any of the trouble.

I think the 3000-series is cool in all, but I don't have a use for it right now. I don't look for gamey-cool stuff to play with and impress the youtubers.

Anyway enough of the rant, I still say this has no impact on Apple what so ever. Apple silicon Macs should prove nice. I will grab a light laptop to replace my Dell Hack laptop (want super light, small and low power consumption.) Later on we will see what they bring to the table.
totally agreed, your first line explains everything perfectly, the way it is
it was not rant
your comment just proved, what people should know
not every one has the same use for a computer
yes you can do most basic things on a computer
but some people do different thing because of their work or hobby

is the same thing when it comes to choosing an operating system
you can do some things better in one os vs the other

so what you wrote is all true

the problem is that people are some times too sensitives and when we write things like
we don't like this or we don't need that, they feel that we are wrong or we are attacking them some how
they should really understand that we have our own way of thinking
which is different to theirs
but there is nothing wrong with that

i don't know why people act like that

i game some times too and just because someone writes that they don't like windows or they don't game that much
is no reason to not like that person comment

i think your comment was fair and respectful

mac was my favorite os but it went to trough many changes recently that i guess i will have to adjust again
the same thing was said about windows
when windows 10 first came out and even today many windows 7 users still don't like w10
so it happens with the same os when microsoft or apple make drastic changes

unfortunately for me since i like nvidia i have to use windows
i came with the conclution that it was better to have a 2nd computer just for mac os
because i didn't want to be swaping cards on my main system
i just don't want to drop my 3090

your comment was also very good
have a wonderful day

It's true it gets sensitive out in the interwebs. Probably the lacking of personal cues.

Anyway, well said, the use cases for every person will be different. I find use for different OSes in different tasks. I'm not a Windows hater, for me, I don't have a use and have a lot of trouble with it. Some others, it's lifeblood. It's all good. I happen to really love macOS and Linux. Been a big fan of Unix and Unix-like OSes for a long time.

I'm so excited to see the AS transition, maybe it's just new hardware fever, but that's ok too.

Oh and I also think it's cool NVIDIA is picking up ARM. I love the Jetson Nano I picked up and NVIDIA makes some cool SOC. I actually wanted to see them up the CPU power on the Nano or at least have a module upgrade. It's a neat little mini ML box but I'd like some more memory and a stronger CPU. But that is why they make the expensive Jetsons.

totally agreed, your first line explains everything perfectly, the way it is
it was not rant
your comment just proved, what people should know
not every one has the same use for a computer
yes you can do most basic things on a computer
but some people do different thing because of their work or hobby

is the same thing when it comes to choosing an operating system
you can do some things better in one os vs the other

so what you wrote is all true

the problem is that people are some times too sensitives and when we write things like
we don't like this or we don't need that, they feel that we are wrong or we are attacking them some how
they should really understand that we have our own way of thinking
which is different to theirs
but there is nothing wrong with that

i don't know why people act like that

i game some times too and just because someone writes that they don't like windows or they don't game that much
is no reason to not like that person comment

i think your comment was fair and respectful

mac was my favorite os but it went to trough many changes recently that i guess i will have to adjust again
the same thing was said about windows
when windows 10 first came out and even today many windows 7 users still don't like w10
so it happens with the same os when microsoft or apple make drastic changes

unfortunately for me since i like nvidia i have to use windows
i came with the conclution that it was better to have a 2nd computer just for mac os
because i didn't want to be swaping cards on my main system
i just don't want to drop my 3090

your comment was also very good
have a wonderful day

I love my Raspberry PI and used to own an Acorn BBC computer, I also worked for ARM Holdings in the UK in Cambridge many years ago, fantastic innovative company, the UK should not have sold ARM Holdings but glad as I made a lot of money on the shares I had with ARM, I am glad NVIDIA are going to buy ARM as I love NVIDIA products and the support I get from them (NVIDIA SHILD TV love it) we will have the RTX 3080 soon, this video explains some of the history of ARM and British innovation, proud to be from he UK, you can tell I love messing with computers, hence here I am hacking MACs, I have Big Sur running on my GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI thanks to the support of this community

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back