Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is Cook could just call Trump and say squash the Nvidia deal there is too much overlap.
And do you think Trump is more likely to listen to Cook or to Roger Stone, who wants Cook locked up? The USA is engaged in a geopolitical strategy, probably bi-partisan, to reverse or at least contain China's growing influence in key technologies including AI, a key NVIDIA specialty. Strengthening NVIDIA and getting a company like ARM under US ownership looks like a tactical advance to that end.

is that the same trump that warn tim apple about making apple pay for all the apple products coming from china?

anyway, the deal is almost done, that is if is not done already

why amd fans and apple fans are so affraid?

afraid that nvidia might return the favor to apple, remember, what apple did to nvidia?

cough cough, mojave web drivers

afraid that nvidia might say, is payback time

trump is too busy with fires, storms, hurricanes, corona virus, etc

really hope nvidia get the deal done and give tim a lesson

but i think nvidia has other plans because they had to use amd cpus for their server parts

my best guess is that they want tomake their own cpu for those parts

you mentioned intel like apple has the option to go back to intel after the way apple ended their partnership, i don’t see intel taking apple back

apple better not fail with their silicone because they are all alone now

the only option apple might have is go back to amd cpu, but i know apple will not fail because mac os will no longer be mac os, i’m sure those apple silicone will run mac ios just fine

Last edited:
And do you think Trump is more likely to listen to Cook or to Roger Stone, who wants Cook locked up? The USA is engaged in a geopolitical strategy, probably bi-partisan, to reverse or at least contain China's growing influence in key technologies including AI, a key NVIDIA specialty. Strengthening NVIDIA and getting a company like ARM under US ownership looks like a tactical advance to that end.

Trump and Cook are buddy buddy now since Cook chose to keep Mac Pro Manufacturing in the US. I am not trying to get into a political debate or devolve into the geopolitical debate.

is that the same trump that warn tim apple about making apple pay for all the apple products coming from china?

anyway, the deal is almost done, that is if is not done already

why amd fans and apple fans are so affraid?

afraid that nvidia might return the favor to apple, remember, what apple did to nvidia?

cough cough, mojave web drivers

afraid that nvidia might say, is payback time

trump is too busy with fires, storms, hurricanes, corona virus, etc

really hope nvidia get the deal done and give tim a lesson

but i think nvidia has other plans because they had to use amd cpus for their server parts

my best guess is that they want tomake their own cpu for those parts

you mentioned intel like apple has the option to go back to intel after the way apple ended their partnership, i don’t see intel taking apple back

apple better not fail with their silicone because they are all alone now

the only option apple might have is go back to amd cpu, but i know apple will not fail because mac os will no longer be mac os, i’m sure those apple silicone will run mac ios just fine

It is apparent the only thing you care about is Nvidia everyone here knows it. Nvidia as I already said has no control over apple outside of collecting a royalty for use of the ARM instruction set. Just because Nvidia has reached a deal on price with Softbank that is only the first step to say the deal is almost done when the world regulators have not signed off is ignorant. Apple's goal is to be independent in two years that means for the next two years they are still using intel chips if they change their mind at that time I see no reason intel will not sell them chips. You keep talking like these companies have feelings. I think you forget the only thing that matters is the bottom line when it comes to these companies.

I am not trying to get into a political debate or devolve into the geopolitical debate.
But it is a geopolitical debate, like it or not. You've got voices in the UK calling for the UK government to intervene for geopolitical reasons and the DOJ and FTC will have motives that are clearly related to US strategic interests. Multi-billion dollar foreign investments get political in a hurry.

But it is a geopolitical debate, like it or not. You've got voices in the UK calling for the UK government to intervene for geopolitical reasons and the DOJ and FTC will have motives that are clearly related to US strategic interests. Multi-billion dollar foreign investments get political in a hurry.

I don’t disagree but at the same time that debat can get really messy. Since cook and trump are now frenemies that might be all trump needs to squash it. Since MS wanted to buy it no reason if the nvidia deal doesn’t go threw MS couldn’t buy it and make it an American property sinceMS is totally trying to up their hardware game.

It is apparent the only thing you care about is Nvidia everyone here knows it. Nvidia as I already said has no control over apple outside of collecting a royalty for use of the ARM instruction set. Just because Nvidia has reached a deal on price with Softbank that is only the first step to say the deal is almost done when the world regulators have not signed off is ignorant. Apple's goal is to be independent in two years that means for the next two years they are still using intel chips if they change their mind at that time I see no reason intel will not sell them chips. You keep talking like these companies have feelings. I think you forget the only thing that matters is the bottom line when it comes to these companies.
here is the problem, i see your side and my side, but you only see your side, you might be right about some things but for you, i’m always wrong

intel is not going to take apple back, apple made that choice so they have to live with the consequences of their actions, the only time apple have left with intel is until their contract expires

if apple wants intel back, that of course is not going to happen, apple have to stop their so called apple silicone, which is not going to happen either, apple already made the announcement, once apple release their apple silicone then is all over between apple and intel

you wrote that i only care about nvidia, but you only care to throw dirt at nvidia because you are an amd fan

i don’t have anything personal against you, but you have to understand that there is people that think diferent

are you honestly going to tell me that amd is going to release a card that is going to be better than the 3090?

the best amd can do is something between the 3070 and the 3080 and we are talking about their best possible card, everything else goes below the 3070

this is not attacking amd in any way, just wait and see, nvidia had always had the upper hand against amd when it comes to graphics cards, those are facts, yes amd is doing better than ever and who knows maybe one day they will finally beat nvidia at least for one generation, but i don’t see that happening at least not right now, maybe in a few years

see is not so bad being fair
nvidia is not making the same mistake intel did, intel really screw up, who knows if intel can ever recover

i think is good that nvidia is trying to adquire ARM , see what nvidia did with the graphic cards, so imagen what they can archive with the arm cpu, i give amd credit for their cpus even that i don’t like amd cpu and i’m an intel fan, why can’t you do the same with nvidia, you can have all the reasons to not like them but i think this deal is positive for computer power in the future

Last edited:
Since cook and trump are now frenemies that might be all trump needs to squash it. Since MS wanted to buy it no reason if the nvidia deal doesn’t go threw MS couldn’t buy it and make it an American property sinceMS is totally trying to up their hardware game.
I don't think the NVIDIA deal is a particular threat to Apple, at least not short/medium term. The issue that regulators will have to grapple with is that of the 500 or so ARM licensees, many (most according to Hermann Hauser, an ARM co-founder) will be in sectors where they might be competing with NVIDIA. I'm predicting that neither of the transatlantic governments will block the deal because of that but they'd be wise to remind NVIDIA in writing that anti-trust statutes are meant to prohibit a powerful licensor from imposing anti-competitive restrictions in their licenses. We saw in the 80's and 90's with Microsoft that if you give carte blanche to a powerful licensor then they eventually gravitate to not just dirty business practices but also illegal ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back