Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you could look at the screenshots and decide which you prefer. You should be able to tell which is which. They were taken with my "Mini ITX 3" (GTX 1050 Ti) and "Mini ITX 4" (RX 580) computers listed below.

I am going to go with something might be wrong with the card, or the cable. The Thumb is from a vega 64, my girl is working right now so I can not look at the 580 but I would guess it would show the same as the vega.
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 12.06.42 PM.png

My screenshots were captures during the camera's "Cinema" mode. From the info in the lower right of your picture, I believe yours was taken in "Walk" or "Free" mode. The RX 580 does not show the blue-tinged grass unless in "Cinema" mode.

My screenshots were captures during the camera's "Cinema" mode. From the info in the lower right of your picture, I believe yours was taken in "Walk" or "Free" mode. The RX 580 does not show the blue-tinged grass unless in "Cinema" mode.

Do you have that in any games or anything else? it is actually an Anti-aliasing issue if you turn off Anti-aliasing it goes away. I do not see grass issues in any games I play or in any of the Arch-Vis renderings I do for my clients in unreal.

it is actually an Anti-aliasing issue if you turn off Anti-aliasing it goes away.
You are correct. Turning anti-aliasing off results in green grass on the RX 580. Thanks! The set of screenshots I uploaded were taken with "2xAA" set in "Heaven." Guess I'll leave AA off from now on. I don't know why "2xAA" didn't affect the nVidia display, but it didn't.

You are correct. Turning anti-aliasing off results in green grass on the RX 580. Thanks! The set of screenshots I uploaded were taken with "2xAA" set in "Heaven." Guess I'll leave AA off from now on. I don't know why "2xAA" didn't affect the nVidia display, but it didn't.

AMD and nvidia do not Render the same way so my guess is that Heaven prefers the way Nvidia handles AA. If you got a 4k monitor AA is almost worthless.

When I read your post to me, it is you that is the little child stomping your feet. It is funny how Nvidia lovers think Apple did Nvidia dirty the reality is they both did each other dirty and parted ways. Also if you hate Apple so much move on you got Windows and Linux then you will not have to worry about Apple and their closed-loop.

I can understand you "feeling" that way (as opposed to thinking... typical Apple thought processes I suspect! BTW, were you born or reside in San Francisco/Cupertino by any chance? If so, that would also explain a lot! :p ), because, based on your posts, you're obviously the quintessential Apple apologist... possibly even self-appointed Apple propagandist! Then again, only you would know about that and if so, possibly familiar with petulance and "temper tantrums"? I know... I used to be there in my avid defense of ALL THINGS Apple... seriously so!

I have been, not only an Apple user since switching from Windows and leaving a job as a "Microsoft Service Solution Provider" in the mid-90's, but also an Apple evangelist. I cannot tell you how many former Windows users I am directly responsible for switching to all-things-Apple. Not only hundreds of average users, but in quite a few instances causing entire small businesses and corporations to switch to Macs, solely.

Why do I tell you this? Because I'm not some disgruntled Windows user who may have tried Macs for a year or two and then went back to my "Macs Suck", "MS Windows Good, Apple MacOS Bad" cubicle because Apple did not "play nice with me".

I don't need to justify myself to you or anyone. Yet, for the sake of good old fashioned courtesy, since you so directly chimed-in, I can tell you I am sadly facing the cold hard facts about Apple... and some are facts, like it or not.

I spent an hour and fifteen minutes on the phone with an nVIDIA head official (and a coder, btw) who told me, emphatically... and the short version of our conversation is: yes, nVIDIA presented Apple with a run of some bad units (manufacturing errors), but nVIDIA did everything they could to remedy the situation and make the bad production run good in any way they possibly could. But in typical Apple fashion they threw "temper tantrums" at nVIDIA, and as a result of that (again, the short version... it goes much deeper) Apple demanded nVIDIA bow to Apple's new-found and proprietary "Metal" API and nVIDIA basically saw what Apple was trying to do, which is, bully them into submission, as usual, and nVIDIA basically told them to "pound sand", in a much nicer, more professional way. There are other issues from what I was told, but deep details couldn't be shared with me... understandably. In the grand scheme of things I am a nobody, but at least nVIDIA cares about their avid customers enough to offer explanations.

I called and happened to get a nice guy, sympathetic to my request for the reasons I could no longer get drivers for Mojave and Catalina, so the CS guy sent me to the actual dept. that is responsible for the very drivers I was inquiring about. At that time, prior to speaking with the tech person, I was probably more irritated with nVIDIA than I was at Apple. That is until I spoke with the person and realized this is exactly the kind of crap Apple has committed throughout it's history... I was just so enamored with the Mac OS I spent years overlooking Apple's arrogance and less-than-stellar computer performance... Jobs' era for the most part excluded.

I think nVIDIA is smart enough to know Apple -- wanting to go back into their disastrous, 90's era proprietary isolation... you know, Apple's typical smug, "We're different and the world will follow US because we're so great" -- is once again on a losing trek back to isolationism and as I call it, "proprietary hell". Which, btw, almost caused them complete oblivion until, as I said, Jobs came back and showed them how to be logical and an actual thinking (again, as opposed to "feeling") company.

We hear more from Tim Cook about his losing political ideological perspectives, his [personal] sexual preferences, and how he "feels" about things societally rather than good old business talk, rationality, and how to make Apple's wares the best they can be... Tim Cook, seemingly unlike his predecessor. I could be wrong, but words and appearances speak loudly many times.

Couple those types of maddening issues [that have nothing to do with Macs and Apple] with the fact, and I say it again, FACT, with the exception of Apple's displays, iMac included, Apple's wares -- performance-wise mainly, components included in some instances however -- are very sub-par, and their prices for such are absolutely outrageous considering!

Apple charges ridiculous prices for crappy-in-comparison memory. They offer basic graphics and again, charge near-fortunes for them. They have the nerve to build $6000.00 basic "pro" computers many Hackintoshers have built for half the price (I have links if you wish to view them) with, in some instances, more than double the performance... and I could go on for another hour about Apple's sluggish and mediocre systems... again, displays excluded. They're soldering components to mobos again and even voiding people's warranties if they dare to change or add their own memory. Seriously? (Darn... where's that uber-knowledgeable techie at that darned "Genius Bar?" That's right they aren't there... Apple is opening stores left and right in high COVID-19 instance nations and closing them everywhere in the U.S. for "safety" reasons! Gee Tim... could there be a bit of back-room political maneuvering/reasoning here? Sounds a bit odd to me... at the risk of being "childish" here.)

Bottom line, it doesn't have to be this way... yet Apple demands it!

I built my first Hackintosh with virtually the same hardware as in a late-2012 iMac which, is an absolute joke, performance wise. I used Macs for so long I had no clue until I built the Hackintosh just how bad Apple's hardware offerings had become. My Hackintosh boots, from start to desktop in around 20 seconds, and every app I open is an instant experience. The iMac I modeled my Hackintosh after is still trying to give me a usable desktop experience 2-3 minutes later! BTW, I have a Skylake i5 in that particular Hackintosh and an i7 in the iMac. Yes, I've taken all steps possible to try to speed up the iMac, but with little improvement. And the iMac is running on Sierra.

I could deal with all of that even, if it were not for Apple's actions involving nVIDIA, and their decision to go back down this 90's era road to "proprietary isolationism". And they actually think the entire world will simply drop x86 architecture and associated wares, purchase literally thousands of dollars in new software, and all for a "special" Apple platform 90% of the rest of the computing world will most likely snub their noses at because of it's unnecessary proprietary nature.

This is my opinion, but I do not see Apple brilliance or certainly not "logic" in desktop computing any longer. I see it in mobile and "tablet" computing and an assorted few other areas. But I wonder if Apple truly cares for it's desktop customers any longer.

I LOVE the MacOS, with a passion! And I hate Windows in comparison... OS wise. But I can no longer trust Apple's hardware for my needs. It lacks real performance, and if one gets that performance they nearly must get a second mortgage on their home in order to purchase that performance. This community is responsible for me realizing how a computer can and should perform... and Apple doesn't cut it in the hardware category, all things considered.

We are all offering our opinions on this forum. You are free to offer your's also, and to also blind yourself to certain realities if you so choose... Mr. Apple FanBoy and apologist extraordinaire! :p

@D.Houch

Thanks for the unneeded history lesson. What it does not include is that this was all Steve's plan, he wanted to create an all-inclusive controlled ecosystem where apple made all the profits and relied only on Apple. If you look at real high-end workstation computers their cost rivals apples for the mac pro just go to Dells web site. Dell, actually last time I looked charged more for their memory then apple. The people that really matter on the software side are corporations, not us end users, most of their software is subscription now and will just automatically be changed over for the yearly subscription.

Pretty sure you have no clue how well the new Apple silicon will or not work but if Apple has made it this far; they are sure it works as well or better then intel with lower power consumption after rosetta translates. Other then their memory their pricing is not crazy yes it is bloated but if time is money 10/hrs to get the system dialed is $1000. iMacs come with a 5k display and while you can not reuse it you can not buy one of those for less than $1000 currently. So just time and display that 2000 plus hardware lets say $800 for board, chip, memory, hard drive, case PSU. That puts you at 2800 ish.

Last edited:
Hi
I do agree with Scottkendall. We did a quote 'as test' from Dell and Apple to compare prices and Apple was not the most expensive. Of course at my level yes it will be like any high end system regardless of the 'maker' for that matter
The main 'issue' here everyone are talking at different level.
as an example: end user (home user, professional users), small businesses and big businesses.

Each parties will see what works well for them and might (will?) desagree with the rest.
If I buy a mac... updates, apps, etc... all should work.
If I want to run 'OSX' apps but cannot/does not want an Apple HW then Hackintosh is for you. Yes you get more (?) bang for your buck but there is a but.
1) If after an update or else the rig stop working?
2) The apps works fine minus one thing... Do you still have support? I had a taste of this and the answer was 'no'.
Now if I cannot deal with the above quickly then may be Windows (or Linux??) might do the trick rather than OSX if available on these Platforms.
If you're a lone pro/user you're free to do what you want (HW/SW) to get the job done. After all who cares the way you do it only the result is important.
Now if you work in a business you might/will find the HW will be so and so and the Apps will be the OS flavour.
Ex:
Let say using Blender and equivalent on 'various ' platforms to get the job done.
As an individual you do not have to use the Client's official apps you can use Blender if you wish since only the result count. For the speed you will find the apps runs lot of more faster on Linux (may be OSX too) than windows on the same HW. Once again your choice.
If you are in a business you will find you have to use whatever they use. After all, all the money invested as product, training, etc... cannot be wasted.

just to add... Apple can always migrate later from ARM to RISK-V therefore no more licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back