Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
AMD is just now beating them with 7nm+ Intel could stomp them but they better hurry before ARM takes over completely. In the long run high watt CPUs will be regulated out of business, they require too many cow fart energy equivalents to operate.
I do have my doubts about these ARM chips, how many years will they last? Will they just be disposable computers that get trashed every 2-3 years?
I used my iPhone 6plus for 3 years when I got my X I gave the 6 to my little sister she used it for another 2 years. so it was 5 years when she upgraded from it. I only upgraded it because it was so big and the X was offering the same size screen in a smaller package. I am currently still using my X going on three years now and will use it till it does not work anymore. It has had the screen replaced once and the battery still seems to hold a charge the same as it always did. I do not use my phone for the same intensive tasks as the M1 might be used for but I only keep my computers for about 3 years anyway.

As I noted in another post somewhere I am in a peculiar place right now with upgrades because I do not think SOC is where I need it to be but for a first offering, it is very close. Had they gone with 32gigs of memory and got at least Vega 64 level GPU or allowed for EGPU I might have had some cake. However, that would have only been a sidegrade. Hoping they get the GPU sorted later this year. @ 699 for the base model mac mini that is cheaper than an iPhone unless you count the SE but I do not.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
I used my iPhone 6plus for 3 years when I got my X I gave the 6 to my little sister she used it for another 2 years. so it was 5 years when she upgraded from it. I only upgraded it because it was so big and the X was offering the same size screen in a smaller package. I am currently still using my X going on three years now and will use it till it does not work anymore. It has had the screen replaced once and the battery still seems to hold a charge the same as it always did. I do not use my phone for the same intensive tasks as the M1 might be used for but I only keep my computers for about 3 years anyway.

As I noted in another post somewhere I am in a peculiar place right now with upgrades because I do not think SOC is where I need it to be but for a first offering, it is very close. Had they gone with 32gigs of memory and got at least Vega 64 level GPU or allowed for EGPU I might have had some cake. However, that would have only been a sidegrade. Hoping they get the GPU sorted later this year. @ 699 for the base model mac mini that is cheaper than an iPhone unless you count the SE but I do not.
The M1 Mac mini is on my short list. Just the 256GB model. The 512GB model at $200 is GB robbery IMO. Even NVME SSDs are going at about 14 cents a GB. Apple is charging about 80 cents per GB. Must be some special memory.