Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Im not arguing, I just want to know where you got this info. Last I checked it was both companies blaming each other....

The simple answer is apple wanted more control Nivida did not want to give it or fix their driver. The discussion about Nvidia web driver and its problems are discussed in many places on tony mac. There are a lot of other factors and this thread is not the place for them, much of the discussion about nvidia apple war was moved to another thread by the moderators.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The simple answer is apple wanted more control Nivida did not want to give it or fix their driver. The discussion about Nvidia web driver and its problems are discussed in many places on tony mac. There are a lot of other factors and this thread is not the place for them, much of the discussion about nvidia apple war was moved to another thread by the moderators.
Im just hoping some how, some way, with nvidia acquiring ARM, apple and nvidia will figure something out for the 3000 series GPUs. Im not holding my breath. I think I am going to have to go with AMD on my next build. I'm still on High Sierra

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Im just hoping some how, some way, with nvidia acquiring ARM, apple and nvidia will figure something out for the 3000 series GPUs. Im not holding my breath. I think I am going to have to go with AMD on my next build. I'm still on High Sierra

Nvidia press release basically said they are keeping the GPU and the ARM markets separate. As I understand it from an outward appearance they are only combined Nvidia and ARM in the profit collum otherwise the two entities will be acting individually. At least that is what they are trying to sell to the regulators. Apples and Nvidia relationship as it pertains to ARM is that Nvidia will sit back and collect licencing fees from apple but the perpetual licences that is currently in place will remain intact.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
Could it be exploding:

More ARM info. And Nvidias plan to allow certain partners to incorporate nvidia GPU into arm systems.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
More ARM info. And Nvidias plan to allow certain partners to incorporate nvidia GPU into arm systems.
Looks like the 2020s will be an ARMs race to catch up with Apple.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looks like the 2020s will be an ARMs race to catch up with Apple.
As impressed as I am with Apples chip, I still believe that if intel stopped messing around and got off that 14nm crap let's say just 7nm not even 5 it would likely stomp apples M1 and AMD into the ground. Maybe I am wrong and maybe they will crash and burn and never get 7nm off the ground. But if they do it will likely be a much more powerful chip but once again maybe I am wrong.

Gigamaxx

Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
As impressed as I am with Apples chip, I still believe that if intel stopped messing around and got off that 14nm crap let's say just 7nm not even 5 it would likely stomp apples M1 and AMD into the ground. Maybe I am wrong and maybe they will crash and burn and never get 7nm off the ground. But if they do it will likely be a much more powerful chip but once again maybe I am wrong.
AMD is just now beating them with 7nm+ Intel could stomp them but they better hurry before ARM takes over completely. In the long run high watt CPUs will be regulated out of business, they require too many cow fart energy equivalents to operate.
I do have my doubts about these ARM chips, how many years will they last? Will they just be disposable computers that get trashed every 2-3 years?