Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what i find interesting is the fact that apple removed boot camp from mac os
now mac users has to rely on virtual machines to be able to run windows on their macs

wmware has an event on september, i think they invited nvidia
i don't know what the deal is

but one thing that virtual machines lack is in the graphic power department
i mean they do reasonable well but still is not the same as running the os or the GPU natively

my best guess is that wmware is going to announce some improvement in that area
thanks to the new nvidia 3000 series

there are many mac pro owners installing nvidia 3080 on their macs
but there are a few problems, once they upgrade to big sur
then they will have to install windows in virtual machine mode
while with boot camp is like running windows on a pc

also once you log out of windows then the card is totally useless on mac os

this is the part that apple didn't want to understand
but that's old news, don't know if the person is going to install 2 cards
one for mac and another one for windows
or if they are going to be swaping cards, i personally considered both of those options
but at the end i decided to leave my system as a windows system and build another one just for hackintosh

all this can be easily solved if apple and nvidia work together
I like your comments and thoughts, hope Apple do work with Nvidia if not I will move away from Apple products and side with Nvidia and see what they can offer, time for a big change for all us, so lets see what the future brings, exciting times and we need something new like AI and Virtual reality, Nvidia are good at both, go for it Nvidia

Last edited:
I do agree it is a bit silly to remove 'Bootcamp'
After all Apple makes its 'Mac' profit from the price of the HW.
Why killing a market of windows users using mac as HW platform?
May be Apple cannot be asked anymore to write windows drivers for it HW and if you want to run Win or Lnx you will have to go virtual.
May be there will be 'Hackwindoz' in the future....

If Mac moves over to ARM mainstream is it even possible that BootCamp could survive unless Microsoft brings out an ARM version of Windows? Even then, would it be easily compatible with Apple Silicon?

BootCamp didn't exist for PowerPC and all we had was VirtualPC (a hypervisor) as a way to run Windows. Switching to Intel opened-up a whole new area of possibilities. Perhaps that door is closing again.

:think:

BootCamp didn't exist for PowerPC and all we had was VirtualPC (a hypervisor) as a way to run Windows. Switching to Intel opened-up a whole new area of possibilities. Perhaps that door is closing again.
It surely is. You're right to point out that the possibility of a both a Hackintosh and of running Windows natively on a Macintosh only arose because Apple started using clearly Windows-compatible standard hardware. The "Apple Silicon" concept more resembles historical systems like SGI/MIPS or Sun SPARC, at least to an OS purveyor like Microsoft. Microsoft did ship Windows NT for quite a few CPUs but I don't recall NT ever offered on an SGI Indigo2, for example, despite MIPS support. Microsoft was hedging in those days and they dropped the whole idea of cross-platform Windows NT when Intel started to dominate all sectors of computing. Apple is obviously not going to license their SOCs to anyone else so to see Windows running on Apple Silicon will require Microsoft to develop a version specifically for a Macintosh.

Gary of Gary Explains YT channel says that the impact on Apple will be none at all. Zero. Hear for yourself.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
hi

M$ already already sells 'stuff' running windows Arm. Just have a look at Surface Pro X.
make sure you sit down before you look at the price :)
Granted if you want to run x86 Apps they will go through 'emulator' therefore theses apps might be sluggish

After a bit of digging it seems you can even install Win10 IoT or even full flavour on Arm (Pi4, etc...)
there are various websites with some info.
From what I gather it is not as simple as run setup.
You need to download some bootstrap then get w10 (relevant flavour)
Again all seems to be 'available' on the web.

just look for 'install windows 10 on raspberry pi 4' in google.
you have youtube, GitHub, etc...

hi

M$ already already sells 'stuff' running windows Arm. Just have a look at Surface Pro X.
make sure you sit down before you look at the price :)
Granted if you want to run x86 Apps they will go through 'emulator' therefore theses apps might be sluggish

After a bit of digging it seems you can even install Win10 IoT or even full flavour on Arm (Pi4, etc...)
there are various websites with some info.
From what I gather it is not as simple as run setup.
You need to download some bootstrap then get w10 (relevant flavour)
Again all seems to be 'available' on the web.

just look for 'install windows 10 on raspberry pi 4' in google.
you have youtube, GitHub, etc...
Already have Windows 10 running on my Raspberry Pi 8GB, currently trying to get Big Sur to install : )

Apple didn't snub them Nvidia kept releasing bad drivers and would not give apple the information they wanted to develop their own driver so they parted ways and apple stopped certifying their web drivers. There really is no reason Nvidia could not just release the driver but they do not care.
Im not arguing, I just want to know where you got this info. Last I checked it was both companies blaming each other....

Im not arguing, I just want to know where you got this info. Last I checked it was both companies blaming each other....

The simple answer is apple wanted more control Nivida did not want to give it or fix their driver. The discussion about Nvidia web driver and its problems are discussed in many places on tony mac. There are a lot of other factors and this thread is not the place for them, much of the discussion about nvidia apple war was moved to another thread by the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back