Contribute
Register

What is the impact on Apple if NVIDIA were to buy ARM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
it is official NVIDIA bought ARM.
now one interesting point if I may say.

If suppliers want to sell equipment (as a broad description) based on ARM technology to someone under which jurisdiction will this be under.
NVIDIA is US based therefore will it be the US government which will tell suppliers if they can supply to so and so or will it be UK?

Since the US try to get the 'protective' way for 'everything technology' to keep the US of A 'great' it will be interesting to see.

Think it's US, yes. Someone mentioned a concern in the UK about this.

Yes, that's correct. If ARM becomes a US-owned company then the US can tell it not to trade with, say, China. This might be against the wishes of the UK but it will no longer have any jurisdiction over the ban. That is a very real concern for businesses based in countries different from their owners.

Just think for a moment
Apple uses ARM...
Apple sells in China
US. Government tells Apple ‘sorry cannot do any more since ARM is US technology‘
Apple can close shop in China.
This would be valid for.... Raspberry PI and anything else ARM based

We might find since things are going from bad to worse.
’Apple silicon’ might not be a real future to Apple for maximum sell but more a niche market for ‘US Friends’

Just think for a moment
Apple uses ARM...
Apple sells in China
US. Government tells Apple ‘sorry cannot do any more since ARM is US technology‘

’Apple silicon’ might not be a real future to Apple for maximum sell but more a niche market for ‘US Friends’
Are we going to have an 'Apple Raspberry Pi' ? we have the i in Pi, iPhone iMac, iPad and now Pi, how exciting, The Raspberry Pi is currently manufactured in the UK only, exciting times to come

Are we going to have an 'Apple Raspberry Pi' ? we have the i in Pi, iPhone iMac, iPad and now Pi, how exciting, The Raspberry Pi is currently manufactured in the UK only, exciting times to come
Yep made in the UK but (now) 'ARM design' owned by the US therefore US rules....
We'll see

Now how a iPi would look like... and running iPiOS :)

Yep made in the UK but (now) 'ARM design' owned by the US therefore US rules....
We'll see

Now how a iPi would look like... and running iPiOS :)
I own my Raspberry Pi and the software (software is open source so free) Apple software = Hackintosh = free ?

Last edited:
Just think for a moment
Apple uses ARM...
Apple sells in China

Apple is already American and so is Intel, so no change in conditions for using ARM.

what i find interesting is the fact that apple removed boot camp from mac os
now mac users has to rely on virtual machines to be able to run windows on their macs

wmware has an event on september, i think they invited nvidia
i don't know what the deal is

but one thing that virtual machines lack is in the graphic power department
i mean they do reasonable well but still is not the same as running the os or the GPU natively

my best guess is that wmware is going to announce some improvement in that area
thanks to the new nvidia 3000 series

there are many mac pro owners installing nvidia 3080 on their macs
but there are a few problems, once they upgrade to big sur
then they will have to install windows in virtual machine mode
while with boot camp is like running windows on a pc

also once you log out of windows then the card is totally useless on mac os

this is the part that apple didn't want to understand
but that's old news, don't know if the person is going to install 2 cards
one for mac and another one for windows
or if they are going to be swaping cards, i personally considered both of those options
but at the end i decided to leave my system as a windows system and build another one just for hackintosh

all this can be easily solved if apple and nvidia work together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back