Contribute
Register

What is highest resolution display you can use with Haswell display port??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
On my H87 build I want to be able to use a MacBook Pro Retina display using this adapter for the onboard displayport: http://dp2mbpr.rozsnyo.com

I have got the display working fine under Ubuntu using the onboard display port, but cannot boot in OS X as chameleon gives the deadbeef not recoverable error. Also hot plugging the displayport after boot will not work. In theory the Haswell onboard graphics should be able to cope in OS X as it works in other OS'es.

Anyone have any solution for this - or does anyone know that there is no solution?

Also interested to hear what is the highest resolution display you have actually got working using onboard HD 4600 graphics. The MBP retina is 2880 x 1800 - anyone got a display approaching that resolution working in OS X with Haswell??

By the way, I know that this display will work under OS X as it works fine from the display port of my GTX 660, but I would rather not have to use a graphics card with this build.

I have tried maxing out the internal graphics memory sections in the bios but still no joy. Also tried setting graphics mode to 1440 x 900 to see if that might help.

It appears that maybe although the Haswell graphics work and have full QE/CI they are not 100% functional in OS X under a hack yet.

So I repeat the question, what is the highest resolution display anyone out there has successfully run under Haswell integrated graphics?

So I repeat the question, what is the highest resolution display anyone out there has successfully run under Haswell integrated graphics?

Hi minihack.

I have helped people get a resolution up to 2560x1440 on the HD4600 alone but I am pretty sure it may support higher resolutions. Although I haven't seen this yet. Monitors of higher resolution are pricey and aren't flying around here so much.

Thanks Wildwillow - what were the key steps you found to getting the highest resolutions on HD 4600?
I'd like to get the Retina display working from the integrated graphics.

Thanks Wildwillow - what were the key steps you found to getting the highest resolutions on HD 4600?
I'd like to get the Retina display working from the integrated graphics.

The main solution was to up the graphics mode to 2560x1440 for example. With a monitor connected via HDMI it would max out at 1920x180 (as known) giving the maximum resolution for the device attached. Without changing the graphics mode and then plugging in a higher resolution monitor via the DP it would achieve the monitors capabilities which was in fact 2560x1440.

Using a monitor with the graphics mode set to 1920x1080 showed that the screen would only show this size, having black edges. Even with a monitor supporting 1920x1200 via DVI. The 1920x1080 wouldn't fit the screen. The graphics mode had to be adjusted.

Thanks for that.

I will try some more experimenting tomorrow. And see if I can get anything to work either booting with the retina display on the integrated graphics (so far though only 0xdeadbeef error for the graphics mode settings I have tried - 1440 x 900 as half scale didn't help) or plugging the display as a second monitor after boot.

I want to use the display as part of an ultimate iMac G3 hack. While there is room for my GTX 660 inside the case, I would be delighted if I can get it working from Haswell HD 4600 as it'll free the 660 up for other builds.

No problem. That would be a great configuration with the Retina screen. Using the latest Chimera, the more compatible IGPlatform ID was added for integrated HD4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back