Contribute
Register

What have you done/plan to do with retired hackintosh hardware?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I have just started the process of building a TrueNAS drive today.

I decided to use my old Gigabyte Z170N-WiFi motherboard as the donor for the new drive. It’s being paired with a Jonsbo N1 I’d bought online and some spare drives left from my older NAS setup.

IMG_6612b.png

IMG_1504b.png

So far I’ve only added the motherboard and main drives including an Intel 256GB NVMe SSD as cache. I don’t have it yet but the PSU is expected to go in tomorrow. It will be a SFX (<150mm) based PSU because of the size.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H (F7)
CPU
i7-4790S
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm currently working on my old P5Q Deluxe which was my first ever Hackintosh build that used a Snow Leopard CD and an iBoot CD for the install (ahh.. those were the days..) :)

It later became a great Pf Sense Box (a big ar$e box) for about a year, back when I was using it with an old ADSL modem (pre-fibre internet days for me then). It gave me a stable net connection over my ISP supplied router of the time but I think it messed with my iCloud when using my iPad (I think I was supposed to configure Bonjour ? but didn't bother !)

It was also a failed unRaid server experiment a few years back where I followed some YouTube guides and then sort of bricked the post installation whilst trying to figure out file shares (I never did get it working properly :( ).

It was then dormant for a few years until Lockdown, when I put Ubuntu Server on it and messed with it for few months using my Ubuntu mini pc as a client as my 2nd Hackintosh motherboard died at that time.

It lay dormant again until a few days ago when I started a fresh install of Ubuntu Server 22.04. It's got 4 old used HDD's inside, their all 500GB each. 3 are set up as Raid5 and the 4th HDD is used as the boot drive. I'm going to put several Docker apps on it and see what it can do..

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Robbish,
Yes I remember the P5Q as I had that too! And yes that was my first hackintosh also along with Snow Leopard.

Motherboard
Gigabyte C246-WU4
CPU
E-2278G
Graphics
WX7100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
So far I’ve only added the motherboard and main drives including an Intel 256GB NVMe SSD as cache.
Further discussion would best take place on the TrueNAS forum, but please note that it is advised to bump RAM to 64 GB or more before even considering a L2ARC ("cache"). Using a L2ARC with low RAM (by ZFS standards…) will actually degrade performance.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The last time I tried ZFS, I found it needlessly complex and resource hungry, at least for home use.