CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 960
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My desktop system is running Lion but, in order to use certain software that doesn't run under Lion, I'm thinking about installing a Snow Leopard partition. I have a mirrored RAID volume that was created using SoftRaid (running Lion) and I'm wondering what happens to it when (if?) I boot up in Snow Leopard. I can't imagine it would mount as a mirrored RAID... Will it mount as two volumes, or not at all? Will it destroy my data (I'm all backed up)? Or are there files on the Lion volume that I could copy over and it will be recognized and function normally (doubtful)...

Anybody have any knowledge in this area?

sorrry cant help ,but i have snow as well as my hardware will not go any further ,never done raid ,but snow does see theother lion drives and i can move files between the os `s

I love the way people just get .0 of any operating system been in macs for years helping with and doing system builds ,Never get .0 of any os get it when its .3 at least its had all the guinea pigs testing it and its at least stable by then

If they are the Apple software RAID partitions the volume should mount in both OS and should not affect the data. There are disk signatures at the beginning of each drive that signify how the kernel should handle them similar to the way that mdadm partitions are autodetected in linux. While you might be dealing with slightly different version of the software RAID binaries fundamentally the disk format hasn't changed.

Of course when it comes to data integrity, fortune favors the paranoid, so make a backup copy or 2 before you do anything. Obviously you need another boot volume to run 10.6 and it won't be the RAID set.

On a side note, I dual booted Windows 7 and Lion for about 6 months with a storage volume that was an Apple Software RAID1 set using MacDrive Pro and it worked very well. This never produced any errors nor caused any need for permissions or disk repair.

On a 2nd side note, I much prefer ZFS for soft raid both for performance and prevention of bit rot. http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back