1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can't believe I don't own a Dremel tool. Amazon and Newegg have dozens. :crazy: I don't want to go to Loew's or Homy Depot because I think the Dremels at those places are more for home repair than case mods.

So, I need a recommendation for Stork's Dremel buy. Cord or cordless. I'm gonna join the club and mod a Mac Pro case.

Also, please recommend cutting wheels. I've seen several post buried deep in threads but post here and we'll get a consolidated list for The Case Mod's 101 thread. :thumbup:

Be kind. I'm tool challenged. :eek:

TIA.

Definitely you want a corded machine . You also want a variable speed . The one I've got I've had for at least 10 years , the closest thing I could see from the Dremel site was the Dremel 300 .

As for cutters and cutting wheels .... use the reinforced cutting wheels , get a pack as you'll go through a lot especially if you're savaging a G5 . This is the pack I get.
IMG_0834.jpg

A 1/8" ball end carbide burr is real helpful . I also use a 3/32 or 1/8" 4 flute carbide end mills , but don't try to drill straight into your work with an end mill. All these cut pretty much anything up to mild steel . Just know that if you really beat them , they can snap so eye protection is called for . I've had real good luck over the years with carbide mills/burrs from Victor Machinery Exchange . The 1/8" shank ones they sell are US made and hold up real well when used in a Dremel.
IMG_0835.jpg

Whatever you do don't get a cheap copy . . . . my biggest mistake.

You end up buying the Dremel as well, two lots of outlay !!:crazy:

+1 on the Easy Lock system/wheels + variable speed. Mine is cordless (xmas gift from the spouse), but find myself running out of battery gas too often.

And while Dremel might come in handy for the "finesse" work, using that for some of the "heavy lifting" cuts may take you quite some time & several wheels.

if the budget allows, I'd look into adding a RotoZip RotoSaw+ (where you get both spiral saw and cutting wheel attachment) to your tool kit. That was "da bomb" tool for my G5 and Cube mods for sure! Even before I used it on case mods, the number of other DYI & fixit projects that have benefitted from this tool.... Well, too many to count!!

FWIW!!!

BoomR, Thank you for the Rotosaw. I saw it at Amazon for a good price and have ordered it. :thumbup:

RotoZip SS560VSC-50 120-Volt RotoSaw+ Variable Speed Spiral Saw Kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K1H36E/

BoomR, Thank you for the Rotosaw. I saw it at Amazon for a good price and have ordered it. :thumbup:

RotoZip SS560VSC-50 120-Volt RotoSaw+ Variable Speed Spiral Saw Kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K1H36E/

I've got two of these RotoZips and a Dremel also. The Dremel is half the size of the Zip.

I have two Zips because I thought I had burned one out and replaced it. A few months later I grabbed the old one by mistake and just plugged it in and it fired right up! The Zips have an overheat-protection circuit of some kind that fooled me into thinking it was dead. Keep it from getting hot :)

P.S. - Hey BoomR, you wouldn't happen to be a fan of PGMusic would you? I think I've seen your avatar on their boards. :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back