Contribute
Register

What do you do when you've built a hackintosh sufficiently powerful enough to last the next 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out some of the offerings from Seasonic. They have some completely fanless power supplies now.

A quality brand. Agreed. I looked at both Focus and Prime ranges. Didn't check out completely fanless though. :thumbup:

My Corsair H1000i power supply is the quietest I have ever owned. The fan NEVER runs. I'm not exaggerating... The only time I see it spin is the self test when it starts up. 2 reasons - It's too big for the X299 setup. Most of the case fans are setup as inflow and some case air goes through the power supply because it has no where else to go.

I have a Corsair RM550x here. It's not in a build yet but I know what you mean. it's got that fan-curve where it's completely off until about 30% load. :confused:

Last edited:
Speaking of lasting 10 years...my 2008 Mac Pro is still running strong with a flashed (by me) GTX 680 and a HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 card. It handles all my legacy peripherals (FW400, FW800, USB2 and USB 3). It's been upgraded over the years with more memory and more powerful processors. Currently running High Sierra 10.13.6. Love it. Happy 11 years olde!

I also have a 2010 Mac Pro also upgraded with processor (single CPU model) and graphics card (R9 29X with a RX 580 awaiting a swap) along with a HighPoint RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 card. It also has a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD on a Anglebird Wings PX1 PCIe card. Currently running Movjave. Happy 9 years olde!

Both these Mac Pros are used for stuff when I tire of my hackintoshs. So, I'm expecting MyHero II system to last me through 2025, :thumbup:

Speaking of lasting 10 years...my 2008 Mac Pro is still running strong with a flashed (by me) GTX 680 and a Caltech USB 3.1 PCIe card. It handles all my legacy peripherals (FW400, FW800, USB2 and USB 3). It's been upgraded over the years with more memory and more powerful processors. Currently running High Sierra 10.13.6. Love it. Happy 11 years olde!

I also have a 2010 Mac Pro also upgraded with processor (single CPU model) and graphics card (R9 29X with a RX 580 awaiting a swap) along with a Caltech USB 3.1 PCIe card. It also has a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe SSD on a Anglebird Wings PX1 PCIe card. Currently running Movjave. Happy 9 years olde!

Both these Mac Pros are used for stuff when I tire of my hackintoshs. So, I'm expecting MyHero II system to last me through 2025, :thumbup:

My 2009 Mac Pro has gone as far as it can go just about. I'm going to replace the 256 GB AHCI SSD with a 1TB SSD from my MacBook Pro. Video card is an MSI RX 580. Works great in the Mac Pro. Seems to act up in my hackintoshes. The last upgrade will be swapping out the 2.66GHz CPUs with 3.4GHz ones. I just need to take the heatsink off one and figure out if I need the ones with lids or without.

Been watching this thread and reading with great interest everyone's views. I haven't owned a Hackintosh for a decade!, more like 2 years, the HP 6300 pro that I learnt to Hack after reading trs96 excellent guide. I'll switch it on occasionally and just tinker with it, it currently has High Sierra installed on an 128GB NVMe, which many people including HP support said isn't possible to boot from. I haven't sorted out the graphics yet, which are glitchy!, but that's the fun part about owning a Hackintosh, you know the answers are here somewhere and that it can be solved.
Also building a Hackintosh from scratch that will last 10 years is a great hobby, my BluEye G5 is coming up for an upgrade soon. I purchased a H370M D3H board to replace the Dell 7010 motherboard that's currently installed. I'll spend time researching the best processor and read up on installing macOS. I'm not rushing this build because, like UtterDisbeleif say's, it's more about the journey than the destination. And when that build is finished I'll return to the HP and take care of those graphics!.

Wow, I found my kindred spirits in this thread. Particularly relate to the sanity check. I started out investigating a hackintosh to meet a specific software need that the new and somewhat expensive 2018 Mac mini looked disappointing for; so I looked here for guidance to build a NUC8 to run Ben Software's camera DVR system. After that, I got hooked on @trs96 guide for Dell Optiplex 7010/9010 and build one of each model, including the 9010 all-in-one. I've been trying to find family to take some of them... sadly, all have bitten the laptop bug. But they are all my pet projects. My favorite at the moment is the transplant into an old HP Pavilion case.
Likewise, the wife knows that the next Amazon or eBay delivery is for me! Lots of fun.

My 12 core Mac Pro Classic has lasted 10 years and is still more than sufficient. It will likely be a great computer until it dies and can't be repaired. My best Hackintosh to date is an X299 with the 18 core i9-7980xe. I needed that power in my last job. I don't for-see needed that much power again for work unless I go into business for myself.

For personal use, This computer is overkill but I am learning that I just can't bare to part with it. As advances in computing power have slowed considerably in recent years, I strongly suspect this computer to last for another 10 years or more.

I like building hackintoshes but I am running out of family that needs them. Where do I go from here? Do I just stop?

What now? Why build another, of course! Maybe try an X299 with a discounted Intel 18-core X-series.
I'm looking to build an ultimate Pro Tools/Vienna Ensemble Pro rig: My current build is fine, and I bought a refurb 2018 Mini -but it's wierd, I don't "like it" as much as the Hack. Maybe building a hackintosh is the 21st century equivalent of building a hot rod. I used to mod my guitars. This is a familiar feeling...

What now? Why build another, of course! Maybe try an X299 with a discounted Intel 18-core X-series.
I'm looking to build an ultimate Pro Tools/Vienna Ensemble Pro rig: My current build is fine, and I bought a refurb 2018 Mini -but it's wierd, I don't "like it" as much as the Hack. Maybe building a hackintosh is the 21st century equivalent of building a hot rod. I used to mod my guitars. This is a familiar feeling...

You highlight another problem with these endeavors. At the time I built the X299 with i9-7980xe, it was a brand new processor and I had to get one from an intel employee (at a huge discount too). 2 years later and it's no big deal. Forget the cost savings, Much of the money I paid is gone. Wasted like cabbage kept too long. I built up the MacPro 12 core after it was already old and it hasn't lost much value.

The bleeding edge is for those who bleed green.

I'm still rocking my H67 build. I bought the motherboard around 8 years ago and upgraded it to an I7 3770, 32 GB of ram and a nice, fast SSD. I didn't like having to remove my Nvidia 980 for Catalina and using the built in HD 4000 graphics but plan on adding an AMD graphics card soon. Honestly it still handles everything I throw at it. I'm wondering just how much longer I'll be able to use it but plan on keeping it running until I just can't update it any longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back