Contribute
Register

Drivers for Nvidia RTX 2080/2070

Status
Not open for further replies.
New RTX 2080 will be unveiled this 20th. @Jamesbond007

Yes, it seems to be so. But still, we don't know what Nvidia will do with respect to the drivers. Unless and until Nvidia releases Mac drivers for the new card, it is useless in MacOS.

I think it's safe to assume it may be a while since Nvidia plays in two markets that Apple doesn't: Machine Learning and Gaming. Both require strong GPUs to compute. Most of Apple's software is AMD optimized and not written for CUDA at all. It's really wonderful we have drivers now for the current cards. I sincerely hope we get drivers going forward for stronger cards, but I can see it being a long wait or not at all sadly.

Yes, it seems to be so. But still, we don't know what Nvidia will do with respect to the drivers. Unless and until Nvidia releases Mac drivers for the new card, it is useless in MacOS.

I think it's safe to assume it may be a while since Nvidia plays in two markets that Apple doesn't: Machine Learning and Gaming. Both require strong GPUs to compute. Most of Apple's software is AMD optimized and not written for CUDA at all. It's really wonderful we have drivers now for the current cards. I sincerely hope we get drivers going forward for stronger cards, but I can see it being a long wait or not at all sadly.

The game has changed since Pascal came out.

macOS/Macs have official eGPU support via Thunderbolt 3. Many many many devices on the PC side including laptops now come with TB3 built in.

NVIDIA has more incentive now to support macOS at a better level. But we shall see...

The do, somewhat, assuming Apple opens the eGPU API to allow Nvidia.

The game has changed since Pascal came out.

macOS/Macs have official eGPU support via Thunderbolt 3. Many many many devices on the PC side including laptops now come with TB3 built in.

NVIDIA has more incentive now to support macOS at a better level. But we shall see...

The do, somewhat, assuming Apple opens the eGPU API to allow Nvidia.

NVIDIA still has certificates for macOS, so most likely they are free to write decent drivers and so on. Apple and NVIDIA have bad blood due to a couple of lawsuits on Apple due to NVIDIA GPU failures over the years. Last time Apple used NVIDIA on any Mac was 2014.

Any news? We're waiting ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back