Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Can someone explain the advantage of using mac os as opposed to just using windows? I guess specifically as it relates to editing and programs like the adobe programs?

Edit: I guess someone is helping me along to proper channels so I guess I'll clarify and be more specific. I'm researching and looking into building a computer. I'm a designer and I've been working on macs for years. I thought it time to move forward and toward alternatives to the mac pro that just released. I want to build a powerhouse as I will be using it for video-editing, motion-graphics, animation (AfterEffects, Premiere Pro, Cinema4D) as well as standard graphics (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.). A lot of the design industry seems to have apple products ingrained in its DNA and I've never been entirely sure why.

Seeing as a custom PC can be more powerful than apple's products, the idea of a "hackintosh" or custom hardware with OSX has an appeal to me. Given the amount of trouble it looks like pulling of something like that can be though, I have to wonder what benefits OSX brings (especially in terms of media tasks listed above) to outweigh that extra trouble.

We'll the first thing that comes to my mind is malicious software. Since windows has the highest user base, it has the highest amount of viruses and malware.
The second thing and the main one that brought me to building a hackintosh is the software. I'm a music guy and wanted to use Logic Pro and that's only made for osx. Osx has always been artist friendly.
The third major advantage of osx in General is just the design of it. It's faster than windows after lots of software is installed to it. It just handles things more efficiently.
And lastly, bragging rights :)

Hackintosh vs Mac:

Macs will obviously work well with osx since that's what they were designed for. You can also run windows on it through boot camp, Vms, or whatever. However, Apple has always been behind on the hardware side of things with the partial exception of the new Mac Pro with thunderbolt and all PCI technology (which is supposedly faster than data or something like that). Macs are also very overpriced much like Alienware.
Hackintoshes do not run osx perfectly as they weren't designed to. However, they do enable for much more powerful hardware, uncompromised performance in windows (assuming you dual boot), and can cost much less than a comparable Mac. Mine was a bit more powerful than the iMac 13,2 and was still half the price ($1000 less).

In my case, I wanted a computer where I could run Logic Pro, but also game occassionally and experiment with different linux distros in virtual box. So I needed a powerful computer for a low cost that could run Mac. It brought me to this website.

I personally have perpetual problems with Windows: constant update error codes, constant glitches within the OS, and often have to do reinstalls. In fact, it was easier for me to install mac OSX on a PC then it was to install windows on a PC. Windows is terrible in my view, and the only reason I use it is for gaming.

In a nutshell tl;dr Stick with OSX, and build a hackintosh. Worth your time and money.

I've been using Adobe Photoshop since version 7 and Premiere Pro since version 1.5. I do a lot of video and photo work.

I used Windows as my main workstation for years and yah, Macs were way out of my price range. I also never liked the iMac as it is almost impossible to upgrade. So my options were, buy a MacPro for $3000 or build my own PC. I stuck with the PC route for years.

I had purchased a new high end 1GB dedicated Nvidia GPU (GTX type card) so live HD previews in Premiere Pro were faster. Performance was horrible. Wasn't much difference from my 256MB card. Windows is also just stupid most days. Updates are always broken and drivers always break. Knowing that most graphics designers ran Adobe products on Macs I decided to install OSX on my PC.

Once I got OSX installed, Lion at the time, rendering time for a 5-6 layer 1080p video (1.5 hr runtime) took 5-6 hours, in Windows and only took a little under 2 hours on OSX. I was blown away. Since then, all I notice is how fast OSX is. My hackintosh is way more reliable than my PC could ever dream of.

Just last month, a friend and I were making a 2'x3' poster (300dpi). I ran OSX and he ran Windows. Both had the same specs, except his Motherboard didn't have thunderbolt. Check out my computer build here. Photoshop CS6 would crash once an hour in Windows and it would never fail on OSX. Adobe products are written for OSX and ported to Windows, they work the best on OSX.

Build yourself an awesome hackintosh, its going to be less expensive than a real Mac but it'll work just as well. Stick with the CustoMac Buyer's Guide, those components work great. I've done a few builds already. Once you get it setup, its pretty easy to keep it running.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

There are a lot of valid reasons why one would use OSX as opposed to Windows. One of them is availability of the software in a specific operating system, just like Zackptg5 pointed out. Just as there are software that run exclusively for OSX, there are also lots that run only on Windows.

One of the high point of using windows is the vast number of software that you can run to do specific task. Another is if your a gamer, you've got loads more good choices than on a windows machine.

I've been using Adobe products on windows since Photoshop and Illustrator 2.0 and when Aldus was making Pagemaker. I never believed Photoshop or other software for the Mac had advantages over its Windows counterpart, they have exactly the same features and work on each native system. A million years ago, Adobe and other design software companies made software exclusively for Macs, but that was ancient times, today a lot of developers build for both platforms. It is a common misconception that graphic designers work better on a Mac, a lot of graphic studios work with windows machines. It is easier to move files from one OS to another today than 10 years ago, the boundaries are gone.

As a long time Photoshop user, I've experienced crashes on both windows and macs. As a tech for one of the major printer company, we all know that no 2 computers are alike. same specs, same everything, different headaches. I think the last time i've had a major Photoshop crash on me was back in the win xp days, and i used xp for a few months and upgraded to windows server which was so darn stable (and which is the technology used to create windows 7 and now 8. I work with huge psd and ai files, several layers deep because I design huge packaging materials for different companies since 1996.

Anyways, there is no major benefit for using a single OS, as Hackintosh owners we can enjoy both worlds! :thumbup:

In a nutshell tl;dr Stick with OSX, and build a hackintosh. Worth your time and money.

I've been using Adobe Photoshop since version 7 and Premiere Pro since version 1.5. I do a lot of video and photo work.

I used Windows as my main workstation for years and yah, Macs were way out of my price range. I also never liked the iMac as it is almost impossible to upgrade. So my options were, buy a MacPro for $3000 or build my own PC. I stuck with the PC route for years.

I had purchased a new high end 1GB dedicated Nvidia GPU (GTX type card) so live HD previews in Premiere Pro were faster. Performance was horrible. Wasn't much difference from my 256MB card. Windows is also just stupid most days. Updates are always broken and drivers always break. Knowing that most graphics designers ran Adobe products on Macs I decided to install OSX on my PC.

Once I got OSX installed, Lion at the time, rendering time for a 5-6 layer 1080p video (1.5 hr runtime) took 5-6 hours, in Windows and only took a little under 2 hours on OSX. I was blown away. Since then, all I notice is how fast OSX is. My hackintosh is way more reliable than my PC could ever dream of.

Just last month, a friend and I were making a 2'x3' poster (300dpi). I ran OSX and he ran Windows. Both had the same specs, except his Motherboard didn't have thunderbolt. Check out my computer build here. Photoshop CS6 would crash once an hour in Windows and it would never fail on OSX. Adobe products are written for OSX and ported to Windows, they work the best on OSX.

Build yourself an awesome hackintosh, its going to be less expensive than a real Mac but it'll work just as well. Stick with the CustoMac Buyer's Guide, those components work great. I've done a few builds already. Once you get it setup, its pretty easy to keep it running.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

I'm a UI/UX Designer myself and I couldn't have said it better. You are abso-****in-lutely right. Macs are way faster and are solely built for artists, sparing us of the headaches windows gives us when crashing.

I can't make my GTX 690 work, and still it's so powerful. I'll be sad that I'll have to part with it one day along with the water block, but I guess it will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back