Contribute
Register

What are some high end graphics cards to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7 10700k
Graphics
5700XT
Previous Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700XT 8GB

I recently put together my build and everything seemed to be working fine until on the second week, I started seeing the VGA light on the Motherboard light up and there was no more signal going to the monitor. After troubleshooting over a couple of hours, I took a guess that it was most likely the Graphics Card. Upon taking it back to the shop I bought it from, 2 of the staff members commented that they've had a ridiculous amount of returns for that particular card and mentioned that it wasn't the brand but the whole series of RX 5700XT (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte were no different with reliability).
I managed to get a refund so now I'm on the lookout for a new card.

Any recommendations on something that is guaranteed to work on a Hackintosh? I'm looking for something either equivalent or better than what I previously bought.

Many thanks!

I recently put together my build and everything seemed to be working fine until on the second week, I started seeing the VGA light on the Motherboard light up and there was no more signal going to the monitor. After troubleshooting over a couple of hours, I took a guess that it was most likely the Graphics Card. Upon taking it back to the shop I bought it from, 2 of the staff members commented that they've had a ridiculous amount of returns for that particular card and mentioned that it wasn't the brand but the whole series of RX 5700XT (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte were no different with reliability).

Any recommendations on something that is guaranteed to work on a Hackintosh? I'm looking for something either equivalent or better than what I previously bought.

Many thanks!
Unfortunately, for currently available consumer graphics cards there are nothing better than the RX 5700 XT that can run MacOS, yet.

The new RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT are not yet supported, not even on MacOS Big Sur. They may be supported in future updates of Big Sur, but nothing before.

Many thanks!

I been sitting around waiting for the to see if the 6000 cards are going to end up being supported but in the meantime I have been reading reviews about the 5000 cards. Most of the negative reviews are driver related, or heat related, since apple creates their own drivers I would guess that cuts the bad reviews in half. Using the word ridiculous is very subjective tells me almost nothing! Unless the store returns the card to the manufacture that could cause a false return rate, I know that Fry's in the olden days used to put returned product back on the shelf. Try buying the card from a different store.

I've just bit the bullet and re-purchased a Sapphire Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB Nitro +, which according to the internet has outstanding reviews. More expensive than my previous one, but I don't think I'd be that unlucky to pickup a second faulty card.
It seems to be very hit or miss with these cards. They have outstanding reviews, and yet detrimental problems for some. Maybe it's a matter of luck in terms of the quality control?

Unfortunately, for currently available consumer graphics cards there are nothing better than the RX 5700 XT that can run MacOS, yet.

The new RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT are not yet supported, not even on MacOS Big Sur. They may be supported in future updates of Big Sur, but nothing before.
Possibly as early as 11.1 but nobody can be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back