Contribute
Register

What Are Some Good Motherboards For IvyBridge CPU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro
CPU
Core I5
Graphics
Intel integrated graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Everyone!!!
I'm new here and new to hackintosh's and wanted to build my first hackintosh. I was wondering what a good motherboard would be for a hackintosh? I want everything to work if possible and I want it to work with a ivy bridge cpu. Any suggestions? If something on the board doesn't work with with hackintosh please specify what and how I might fix it if possible. I'll be :beachball: for your reply!
Thanks guys!,
GamerDomey

GamerDomey said:
Hey Everyone!!!
I'm new here and new to hackintosh's and wanted to build my first hackintosh. I was wondering what a good motherboard would be for a hackintosh? I want everything to work if possible and I want it to work with a ivy bridge cpu. Any suggestions? If something on the board doesn't work with with hackintosh please specify what and how I might fix it if possible. I'll be :beachball: for your reply!
Thanks guys!,
GamerDomey

Hi Gamer, welcome tonymacx86.com.

I've spent about 2 weeks here reading everything I could get my hands on, then I managed to still pick the wrong board for my build. Fortunately, I got some help and I hope I'm on the right track now.

I would most definitely recommend reading through a great number of the 'Golden Builds' or other 'User Builds' threads to get a feel for what is and what isn't supported. You'll soon develop the right expectations for your build and then you can gauge what sorts of things are critical to you and you'll be in a decent position to make the right compromises in developing your build plan.

In general, the mods on this board favour the Gigabyte mother boards, but this may change (not sure). The reason is that GB, until very recently, had their BIOS unlocked and the team could therefore create better compatibility for Hackintosh usage. In particular, in the areas of power management.

If you read a number of the User/Golden builds, you'll find a lot of success with the ASUS x79 mobos. So, if you like these boards, then perhaps these will also be a good fit for your build. Some things to watch for is to make sure that the Audio and Ethernet chip sets are supported. Most of the Realtek chips are supported for Audio and Ethernet, I understand, which means that you should be able to get audio and ethernet working without too much trouble.

Anyway, I'm still learning, but I can tell you that reading as much as you can here is paramount.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back