Contribute
Register

What are Min requirements? 4K 60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've gone and bought a new GFX card (EVGA 740 2GB), but alas its max resolution (4k) only runs at 30Hz.

What's the cheapest card you would recommend to solve this issue

Mucho Gracias

You must have a GPU with DisplayPort 1.2. The EVGA 740 does not have display port, HDMI won't cut it.

Any Nvidia GPU with DisplayPort 1.2 from the Kepler or Maxwell generation (6xx, 7xx, and 9xx series) will work. Unfortunately, most of the cheap options from Nvidia do not have DisplayPort. The cheapest thing that I've found is the GTX 645, $30 on ebay, and it works great at 4K/60Hz with the Nvidia web drivers. So, here are your options:

GTX 645 (if you go for this make sure you get the one with DisplayPort! There are several versions)
GTX 760/770/780/Titan
GTX 960/970/980/980 Ti/Titan

It's also possible that any of the Quadro cards with DP 1.2 would work too. For example, the Quadro 400 has DP

I'm not sure about options on the AMD side, but I bet that any compatible GPU with DP 1.2 would work.

I you take a Maxwell card, as rightly mentioned in the previous post, you also have to make sure that your monitor allows SST mode for the DisplayPort. The MST monitors (typically from the first generation of 4K monitors) don't work with Maxwell, I don't know about the other cards, it could be just a problem with the Nvidia web drivers.

Thanks jonisign and Pieroman69. I did a little extra research (before I received your replies) and went for a GTX 750. I believe it to be a little faster than the 740, so that's good, and of course it has DisplayPort. The EVGA website FAQs says that card support 4k @ 60Hz. I'm hoping that will support DisplayPort 1.2 :S

Fingers Crossed I should get the scaling options as found on retina displays.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks jonisign and Pieroman69. I did a little extra research (before I received your replies) and went for a GTX 750. I believe it to be a little faster than the 740, so that's good, and of course it has DisplayPort. The EVGA website FAQs says that card support 4k @ 60Hz. I'm hoping that will support DisplayPort 1.2 :S

Fingers Crossed I should get the scaling options as found on retina displays.

Thanks for the advice

Glad you found something that works, and sorry I missed it! Yes, the GTX 750 with DisplayPort will work. Just make sure you install the Nvidia web drivers, and you should be all set. If you can, install them now before you send back your current card. Otherwise, use the nv_disable=1 flag when booting, install the web drivers, and then boot back in and you should be all set for 4K @ 60Hz

Thanks again jonisign.

So I've got 4K @60Hz, but it says NTSC. Is that normal?

I'm just updating my mac model definition 6,1 to see if I can get scaled resolution support.

Thanks - I had the web Drivers installed, so it booted just fine with the new card. I thought the card was natively supported?

Here's my boot.plist... do you happen to know what the nvda_drv=1 means? I don't remember having it before.

Code:
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 nvda_drv=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

If the system definition doesn't work, I'll give this a try http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/133254-adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.html

Cheers

Thanks again jonisign.

So I've got 4K @60Hz, but it says NTSC. Is that normal?

I'm just updating my mac model definition 6,1 to see if I can get scaled resolution support.

Thanks - I had the web Drivers installed, so it booted just fine with the new card. I thought the card was natively supported?

Here's my boot.plist... do you happen to know what the nvda_drv=1 means? I don't remember having it before.

Code:
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1 npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 nvda_drv=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

If the system definition doesn't work, I'll give this a try http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/133254-adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.html

Cheers

nvda_drv=1 sets the web drivers to be used instead of the default OS X ones. So yes, you want that!

The card is not natively supported, since the GTX 750 is a Maxwell card, there are no current macs that use this architecture, so Apple hasn't updated the nvidia drivers for it. However, with the web drivers, it works perfectly!

I've had success getting scaled resolutions with iMac14,2. Maybe try that?

Still no dice with Scaled Resolutions.

I'm trying the latest iMac model definition 15. 14,2 didn't give me anything and the MacPro 6,1 would allow me to boot with the NVIDIA graphics. I had to boot with nv-disable=1. Not sure if that's telling of a different issue.

Still no dice with Scaled Resolutions.

I'm trying the latest iMac model definition 15. 14,2 didn't give me anything and the MacPro 6,1 would allow me to boot with the NVIDIA graphics. I had to boot with nv-disable=1. Not sure if that's telling of a different issue.

Are you on 10.10.3? How about getting rid of IGPEnabler... set it to no.

To get scaled resolutions working on a GTX 645, I did the following:

- Booting using clover, no injection of intel graphics
- System definition: iMac14,2
- Running 10.10.3, latest Nvidia web drivers

Also, do you need the npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 flags?

Using just the first part of this guide has given me resolutions that are akin to scaled resolutions (i.e. a different interface). I need to press Alt whilst pressing Scaled button.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/133254-adding-using-hidpi-custom-resolutions.html

I went as far as using Terminal to enable HiDPI.

The only issue now is that some display things, like corner dragging a window to resize (particularly with something like Logic X) is very laggy.

It's not as laggy at full 4K res, but really laggy at say 3200 x 1800. Is this just down to the speed of the card do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-06-05 18.05.12.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-06-05 18.05.12.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back