Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Hackintosh working with Asus R9 290 DirectCu II OC, Clover setup. Great Final Cut Pro and motion improvement over PNY GTX 660 Ti Enthusiast Edition.
BruceX test results http://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

with GTX 660 Ti 95 sec
with R9 290 30 sec

OSX 10.10.1

Problems: only one display working, FXFactory crashes system, Davinci Resolve is slower.

If you edit film in FCP ja working with Motion it's great improvement.

OSX 10.10.1

Problems: only one display working, FXFactory crashes system, Davinci Resolve is slower.
So is there anybody here who has worked Radeon with 2 monitors? Which GPU do you use for that? I wanna buy Radeon GPU but I don't know what model to buy. I use 2-3 displays at time and I haven't any GPUs connected to my system.

I heard that 290X is natively supported in 10.10 but I don't understand why then users can't use two displays at time using this GPU.

Hello,

I've recently purchased a Gigabyte R9 280 OC 3 Gb card. I have read various threads but am still having difficulties getting the card to boot just off the new AMD card. When I do I get the infamous boot 0 garbled screen.

If I set BIOS to INIT IGFX and disable the internal graphics it defaults to AUTO for initial graphics and it returns to the Boot O garbled screen.

My system is:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
Gigabyte Gigabyte R9 280 OC 3 Gb graphics card.
OSX 10.9.5
System Definition 3,1

Currently I am running one screen of the on board graphics and the other off of my PCI graphics as it the only way I can get it to boot. I really just want to run both off the 280 card as it dual boots to windows 8.1 for gaming.

Any help would be appreciated as I currently feel that I am just going around in circles.

I do have a Sapphire 270X OC Tri 4Gb card in another W8 only machine. Would swapping and using that graphics card easier to get working?

I have dual R9-280X cards and both appear to support multiple monitors at the same time. As I type I have a single 23" monitor connected via Dvi to one 280X. I also have two other widescreen monitors connected to the other 280X card via (just looking now), one is on DVI and the other is on display port.

I did nothing special to the install to get multiple monitors to work, just connected the cables and turned the monitors on.

Here's the system report

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 13.45.16.png

AFAIK you cannot just boot the 280's from a normal installation. You need to move stuff to the unused EFI partition and set the boot to work from there. These instructions work perfectly well as I have used them three times.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/115818-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Follow them carefully and it works. Apart from that I did nothing to get the 280's to work.

If you are using FCP X turn off the internal graphics as that makes FCP X run like a three legged dog.

Thank you for the info. I have been trying to get the EFi boot setup but it keeps giving errors on the Chimere copy. I have tried multiple times.

I pi guess Ill just have to try again. I'll post the errors I get if it continues.

I just used the simple install using the local Multibeast and the EFI modification. I don't use anything clever as I'm not.

Im sorry I don't understand ... I thought the EFI mod WAS to put the bootloader and Extras folder onto the EFI?

My build wasn't originally this card. I've swappered out a much older HD4xxx.

Yes you are correct, I misread your comment as using a different system. My apologies.

The EFI boot setup was trivial from what I read and dis. What part of your copy is failing? Oddly enough I'm more familiar with this element as I'm a UNIX hacker really :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back