Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the 270X too, but not many people had success with two monitors. The 280X was a safer bet, which turned out great! To be honest, both HDMI and the standard DVI port didn't work. DVI was recognised by IOJones though. For the mini display port, I used a mDP to HDMI adapter, which I used on my MacBook Pro, and that worked without any problems. Also, the two displays I had connected had different resolutions, but Mavericks handled both great.
If you are thinking about getting a 280X, may I point out that the MSI is very cheap in comparison to the Toxic, at least here in the Netherlands. A member here has two of those MSI's working with dual monitors if I remember correctly, so you should be good ;)

Sapphire is even cheaper, but I don't know if it's working. MSI seems great. The one with 6 Gb of RAM? Amazing :)

I still need to learn some things, like this "IOJones". I hope to receive the right help during my install. Meanwhile I'll check for this new term :)

Again, thank you so much!

Sapphire is even cheaper, but I don't know if it's working. MSI seems great. The one with 6 Gb of RAM? Amazing :)

I still need to learn some things, like this "IOJones". I hope to receive the right help during my install. Meanwhile I'll check for this new term :)

Again, thank you so much!

Good luck with your build. If I have some time before I go on holiday, I will write a build log of my build. I finished the basics a couple of days ago, but there are still minor things I need to fix.
About the other Sapphire cards, I thought those work too, but try to find someone who got one working on the forums here, or in other places to be sure.

Good luck with your build. If I have some time before I go on holiday, I will write a build log of my build. I finished the basics a couple of days ago, but there are still minor things I need to fix.
About the other Sapphire cards, I thought those work too, but try to find someone who got one working on the forums here, or in other places to be sure.

Meanwhile a huge THANKS and I wish you happy holidays.
I'll contact the user with a PM if I found these cards on their system descriptions :)

Hi michaelcly!
Thank you for your reply, you are very kind :)

In order to make your Sapphire 270x works out of the box you had to make the EFI partition on Mavericks 10.9.4 as well? Or you simply updated your Mountain Lion install?

Again, thank you so much for your effort!

Others say It still needs the efi partition.

Hi I am trying to build my first hackintosh . I am using an r9 280. When I found finishe the installing and I am trying to boot to Mac OS X 10.9 it sticks at the Apple symbol and loading forever. And when I am trying - v it stars loading and then I am getting black screen and the display goes to energy saving. please help if you can

Thank you guys for the answers, I really appreciate your replies.

@rwillett,

I read somewhere that to avoid any issue with a secondary monitor, someone is using the AMD card to run FCPX and the internal graphic card for the secondary monitor. For main use I want to avoid internal graphic cards and Nvidia cards. The 5770 seems an interesting solution. Do you suggest these ones? Are they going to work easily?

On the thread "List of Confirmed Radeon HD 7xxx Series (10.8.3+)" there are other suggest AMD cards. They are not the last ones, but I think they'll be fine. Will my life be easier if I use the Radeon 7xxx series?

Anyway, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I run three monitors from two 5770 cards, I did try the internal graphics card as well but that made FCP X run really slow. The moment the internal graphics card is put in use its prioritised over the external ones in FCP X. This means you cannot run an external monitor from the internal graphics card AND get decent rendering speed. There may be clever plist settings in FCP X to change all of this but I have no idea if they even exist.

I run a genuine Apple 5770 and a cheap Asus 5770 card I brought off ebay. Both work identically for me re speed. I drive my main 23" monitor from the Apple 5770 and the two 17" monitors from the Asus only because the Asus has two DVI ports whereas the Apple 5770 only has one. I am about to pull the genuine Apple 5770 out and put it back in my MacPro 2,1 and sell them as a unit and put a second cheap 5770 back in.

So in answer to one of your questions, the Apple 5770 works perfectly well for me. It requires no boot flags and installation with the 5770 in was trivial and easy. Getting the internal graphics to work was hard work and whilst I got it to work, it was painful.

I cannot comment on the other 7xxx series as I've never tried. I'd like to, but I want three monitors for development work and to get that I'd probably need two 7xxx series cards and would then need a 750W to 950W PSU and that costs even more money.

I'm very happy with my 2 x 5770's. I get triple monitors working, they're cheap to buy, the performance in FCP X is great, I don't play games so no loss of performance there.

XFX R9 270X here and worked out of the box.

I just have one question, is there a way to monitor or just show the GPU temperatures?

Guys, I have dual 280x working in my system... luxmark is around 4500 but I'm getting weird screen flicker every once in a while mostly when browsing the web. So, it's a 2D thing and most online searches say it's how the card changes its frequency:

MSI 280X 3GB Gaming OC

Anybody have this issue and fixed it by changing brands that are better about VBIOS updates? I'm on my second card and it still flickers but less than the first.

any brave souls willing to test my config for R9 290x. yes it worked or no and did u have qe/ci thx.must be willing to install clover in uefi for this config. please test on usb key.if u need to edit config use plisteditpro or Xcode.

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.7 KB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back