Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the 10.9.1 update is out we all know that the R9 290 is not supported. This confirms my worries that Apple might just skip Hawaii boards alltogether. I guess I'll have to change my board for a slower and more expensive GTX 780 :(

Hey guys,

I've just upgraded to an Asus R9 280x. I'm using Clover with ATI inject and my card works OOB.

How do you check GPU clock/temp?

HWMonitor doesn't work with ATI.

Seems to be working, I had to put the default graphics as the iGPU though to get it to boot.
I want to play around with the framebuffers on it a bit I think.

I'm considering the XFX R9-280X-TDFD as well, now you've had your card for a while what is the compatibility like? Did you have any problems?

Bought the Asus R9280X-DC2T-3GD5. Iit works with graphicsEnabler=off and Efi boot trick (EFI step by step guide here at tonymacs)
Running Battlefield 4 almost all setting maxed out. Also good prestanda in OSX, scores 85 in Cinebench 15.
Seems like this card is very similar to the new Mac Pro cards so hopefully it will come out modified kexts to make it work even faster. If we are lucky also some kind of SLI solution is around the corner.

Now that the 10.9.1 update is out we all know that the R9 290 is not supported. This confirms my worries that Apple might just skip Hawaii boards altogether. I guess I'll have to change my board for a slower and more expensive GTX 780 :(

I'm in the same boat as you. I REALLY want to grab a Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC as I feel it's the best performance to value card on the market at the moment. I could just man up and grab a Sapphire 280x Toxic and have perfect performance now, but...arrrggghh!!!!

I guess the way to look at this is that the AMD card pricing is currently inflated $150+ due to all the crypto-currency miners snatching them up, so having some patience to see if 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 and beyond will be our lucky break. Hopefully by then, the pricing will be back to normal retail price. Either way, I refuse to pay these inflated prices as it teaches manufacturers that the consumer is perfectly fine with this behavior.

Question: How likely are we to a "hacked/custom" kext emerge for the Hawaii boards from an unofficial source?

I'm in the same boat as you. I REALLY want to grab a Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC as I feel it's the best performance to value card on the market at the moment. I could just man up and grab a Sapphire 280x Toxic and have perfect performance now, but...arrrggghh!!!!

I guess the way to look at this is that the AMD card pricing is currently inflated $150+ due to all the crypto-currency miners snatching them up, so having some patience to see if 10.9.2 or 10.9.3 and beyond will be our lucky break. Hopefully by then, the pricing will be back to normal retail price. Either way, I refuse to pay these inflated prices as it teaches manufacturers that the consumer is perfectly fine with this behavior.

Question: How likely are we to a "hacked/custom" kext emerge for the Hawaii boards from an unofficial source?

It shouldn't be impossible... maybe not even difficult as the Computing Unit is the same with Tahiti (7970) for which OSX already has support.

1698222.jpg

Interesting...

I found this on another forum where they're talking about 10.9.2:

"My R9 290 has a device id: 0x67b11002
In AMDRadeonX4000.kext I found a device id: 0x67b01002 in the Hawaii section.

This device id isn't present in AMD7000Controller.kext"

Can someone with 10.9.2 kext files verify if this information is correct? If so, would it be as simple as adding the device ID to the AMD7000Controller.kext to enable full functionality of the R9 290 video card? Also, if there is a listing of the Hawaii GPU series in the kext I would imagine that all hope is not lost then on native support.

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I have been planning a hackintosh build for a while now, and I would love to be able to use the 290X in my build. I will put my plans on hold for a while until we know more if it can be done, so I will be following this thread closely and hope for any progress :)

Interesting...

I found this on another forum where they're talking about 10.9.2:

"My R9 290 has a device id: 0x67b11002
In AMDRadeonX4000.kext I found a device id: 0x67b01002 in the Hawaii section.

This device id isn't present in AMD7000Controller.kext"

Can someone with 10.9.2 kext files verify if this information is correct? If so, would it be as simple as adding the device ID to the AMD7000Controller.kext to enable full functionality of the R9 290 video card? Also, if there is a listing of the Hawaii GPU series in the kext I would imagine that all hope is not lost then on native support.

Well that answers my question. Taken from another site:

"I forgot to mention that I had edited both the:
AMDRadeonX4000.kext and
AMD7000Controller.kext and added the device ID 0x67b11002 … didn’t make a difference when 5,1 so I also tried 6,1 and tried both GE=yes/no

There is a section in AMDRadeonX4000 about the Hawaii GPU and a similar device (0x67b01002) but this wasn’t in AMD7000Controller so either I’m still missing something or else need to wait for a new kext for Hawaii."

So with this information here, it does appear that there is a Hawaii GPU info in the kext already. I'm gonna go with a logical guess here:

Device ID 0x67b11002 = R9 290
Device ID 0x67b01002 = R9 290X

Hopefully we'll see it added natively by the time 10.9.2 pushes live, if not in 10.9.3 (fingers crossed)

got a sapphire toxic R9 280x and needless to say this card simply smokes anything on the table. Power hungry, not so quiet, but the performance peaks like anything.

installed a fresh copy of mavericks, installed bootloader on EFI parition, plugged in the card, and everything worked right OOB.

sidenote: BIOS settings: Internal graphics = disabled, IGFX
used basic boot settings from multibeast.

Just dropped in to confirm that Sapphire Toxic edition of R9 280x works, but i am getting a luxmark score of 824, have no experience with this if its a good or bad score. Also HDMI audio wasnt working. Anyone with luck?

I have now also the Sapphire Toxic 280x but I am running a thunderbolt display on the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, I did the EFI thing but actually it worked before showing me
AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6798
Revision ID: 0x0000

anyhow something is wrong as the performance is not what it should be. luxmark is something between 978 and 1039...i think it should be much higher ...also the new fcpx 10.1 should be able to use the opencl an render much faster...but it does not...what can I do to get the full potential of the card activated?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back