Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any clarify how 290x or 290 work partially? I don't game on osx, and all I want is to do office work in the mac environment with two 1080p monitors. Would that be okay?

So why do you need a 290 or even a 290x?

The haswell iGPU is more than enough for 2 HD office monitors ;)

Oh sorry I should have been clearer. I meant that I don't game on osx but I am dualbooting win8, which I do game with.

From this thread I got impression that 290/290x is not ready and others may or may not work. Also I just ordered 270X. Will post if it works when I build.

Hi, I'm on to buy a new AMD GPU (I don't like nVIDIA). But, I can't decide whether to buy an HD7750 or a new R7 250.
I know, that 7750 is supported, but what about AMD's new R7 series? Especially with the 250?
Thanks in advance

can r7 260x be compatible?

With 1280 shaders spread across 20 compute units, it employs the same Pitcairn GPU introduced on the Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition in March of last year. You shouldn't have trouble.

Can someone revise the original post and mention that all of the AMD R7 R8 and R9 cards except the 290 and 290x work completely out of box since they are just re-named versions of the older 7xxx series cards. No die shrink or anything like that just new names on the box.

As for the 290 and 290x you can enable graphics only but a lot of stuff wont work correctly. The intel dedicated graphics can handle 2 monitors if you need to change DP to HDMI then just use an adapter and you will have 2 HDMI... or use HDMI and DVI if that is an option for you.

You need to make sure that you set your graphics initialization in the motherboard settings to select the iGFX or iGPU or whatever they call it as first video and not PCIe 1 2 or 3. If your monitor has enough inputs on it then what I do is I just run my embedded graphics to my monitor with 1 cable and my 290 with another cable.

BTW:
I would like to know if anyone knows if any of the developer beta updates has 290 drivers?

So you say the R7 250 would work OOB? How do you know?
I can't find anything about that card on the net..

..Though the other card that is on my shopping list, is the HD7750, and if the R7 250 doesn't bring anything new to that, I think I'll pick the 7750. The HD7750 works OOB; am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back