Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, I've really only removed my old intel bits and left Graphics Mode 1920x1080x32 in there.
At the moment however under OSX I'm back to the intel iGPU setup and whenever I want to do some gaming, before booting to Windows I switch my Bios setting to PCIE. This is a bit annoying, but not terrible and I should survive until OSX gets some proper R9 290 support.

PS. Yeah, I got two HDMI cables running to my display and have to switch source manually as well.

Which bootloader are you running? I'm running Chimera and if I have the R9 290 powered, then the OS will freeze 10 seconds after booting. Console reports "Radeonsensors: still waiting for ioaccelerator to start..." before it freezes.

With the iGPU set as the initial display device and the R9 290 powered, the OS freezes 10 seconds or so after boot. With the R9 290 in the PCIe slot 1 and as the initial boot device and the iGPU disabled, I get the Boot0 error.

I'm going to try Chameleon to see if it makes any difference... hopefully it'll fix my iMessage issue as well which I can't get to work for love nor money... not that I really use it... I'm just a bit OCD :D

I am not sure if 10.9.1 will support Hawaii... Why I'm saying that is because the new Mac Pro cards have Tahiti based AMD FirePro D500 (maybe D700 as well, although not officially listed on Apple's site). Tahiti support is already built in Mavericks so there is no real reason for Apple to add support for Hawaii if they are not planning to release a Mac with Hawaii based graphics. There is one hope though: the new Mac Pro equipped with 2 graphic cards requires some kind of crossfire technology which works without a CF bridge. The only cards on the market that can do that *on the PC* are the Hawaii based ones. But AMD could have built Apple exclusive Tahiti FirePro with that capability (of running CF without a CF bridge). The hope here is that the D500 and D700 are/will be Hawaii based.

For those of you that do not know what Tahiti and Hawaii are, these are codenames for the graphical processing units used in the video cards produces by AMD during 2012/2013.

So this is for all of you that are planning to use OSX as their primary OS: do not purchase R9 290/290X at the moment. Go with the Sapphire R9 280X Toxic (highest performing 280X on the market). The performance is between 10-15%(290) 15-25%(290X) lower in most games but it's fully supported by Mavericks. It's still a beast though, so no worries about playing all games under the sun at high quality settings. You could even go with a CF later if you really need to (and that would surpass a 290X by around 50%).

As a side note: if you want your R9 290/290X to kind of work on OSX, you need to install the bootloader and Extra on the EFI partition by following this guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html
You will get full resolution through the bootloader (1080p display option in Multibeast section Customize -> Boot Options) but no QE/CE.

An alternative would be to run a second graphic card supported by OSX. I tried that with a GTX 260 but every time I would want to boot in OSX, I would have to change the default init display in BIOS and then change the monitor from the radeon to the nvidia DVI port. Also this had it's downsides: the nvidia cooler kept on spinning at 100% until booting into Windows with the Radeon card (I kind of know what's happening there but no way how to fix it). Then the Radeon cooler would spin at it's default bios setting (47 or 43%) for the entire time running OSX (as well, I kind of understand what's the reason but still no way how to stop it). You might get better results if you try so check this one out if you have the opportunity.

Hey guys, so finally i got the 270x and its working out of the box, but i have a "issue" i would like to have windows in dual boot but because i have a AMD card i need to setup in the BIOS to load first with the onboard card and only after it will load the AMD drivers, any idea how i can have dual boot?

Hey guys, so finally i got the 270x and its working out of the box, but i have a "issue" i would like to have windows in dual boot but because i have a AMD card i need to setup in the BIOS to load first with the onboard card and only after it will load the AMD drivers, any idea how i can have dual boot?

Windows will install with the gfx card in - just make the BIOS First Init Display = PCIe

Windows will install with the gfx card in - just make the BIOS First Init Display = PCIe

Yeah i get that but there is no easy way is there? I will have always to change to PCIe when i will want to boot in windows right?

Yeah i get that but there is no easy way is there? I will have always to change to PCIe when i will want to boot in windows right?

Why is this a problem? You have a graphics card, yes? You are using this graphics card in OS X, yes? You are not using the onboard graphics for anything, right?

Graphics set in BIOS First Init Display = PCIe (or might be PEG) will work equally well for Windows or OS X.

You might even set it on Auto. To install OS X you did set first the optimum defaults and then make the changes needed for OS X, right?
These changes make no difference to Windows - it won't care, so it should install with no problems.

Why is this a problem? You have a graphics card, yes? You are using this graphics card in OS X, yes? You are not using the onboard graphics for anything, right?

Graphics set in BIOS First Init Display = PCIe (or might be PEG) will work equally well for Windows or OS X.

You might even set it on Auto. To install OS X you did set first the optimum defaults and then make the changes needed for OS X, right?
These changes make no difference to Windows - it won't care, so it should install with no problems.

Thanks for your answer :) well I installed Mac OS X and after the first initial reboot i got some gebrish on my screen, so i look it up and I changed the First Init display = IGFX so pretty much the booting goes to my onboard graphic card that has nothing plugged in, and once the MAC OS boots, my screens turn on but in the meantime they are off.
I'm not at home at the moment and i will change for the =PCIe to see if the booting will work, but I had in auto and the booting was failing all the time until i did this last change.

Thanks

So because i have a AMD card when i try to boot with the =PCIe it gives me error, Boot0: GPT, Boot0: Test and a lot of gibberish, the only way i can boot to mac is to have the IGFX meaning i wont see the computer loading so i wont be able to change the boot to windows :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back